tomacey56

Where Are They Now – Alex Loudon

Taking a look at what happened to sports stars of the past

As perhaps the most prodigious English spinning talent of his generation, it seems curious that Alex Loudon should have chosen to turn his back on a cricketing career at the tender age of 27. Reputedly a quiet and endearingly earnest professional, his decision may have owed as much to his desire to avoid the limelight as to his ambition to pursue a career in the city.
During his promising developmental years, the Old Etonian was widely touted as a future England captain. He led England U-19’s to moderate success at the 2000 World Cup, and in 2002 was rewarded for his imperious batting performances for Durham UCCE with a full-time contract with Kent. Initially recognised for his prowess as a top order batsman, Loudon soon began to realise his potential for bowling off spin, in particular the much-feared doosra, a skill which he learnt from an Indian friend while studying at Durham.
After leaving Kent for Warwickshire in 2004, Loudon began to make an impression with the England selectors, and he was supposedly awarded his place on the 2005 Autumn/Winter tour of Pakistan after dumbfounding Marcus Trescothick with his notorious change-up delivery during a net session. Loudon’s call-up was something of a surprise at the time, particularly as he featured ahead of the likes of Gareth Batty and Richard Dawson, but his unconventional talent and unerring work ethic greatly impressed coach Duncan Fletcher, who apparently recognised his potential as a world-class spin bowler.
Unfortunately for Loudon, his England career was to be confined to just one unremarkable ODI appearance against Sri Lanka in 2006, as he was run out without scoring before conceding 36 runs off just six overs. For the remainder of the summer, he struggled to dislodge the in-form Jamie Dalrymple from the one-day side, and after a disappointing 2007, he announced his retirement from all cricket, stating his desire to pursue a career in business.
Since then, Loudon has re-emerged as a B-list celebrity after dating (and then dumping) royal in-law and Daily Mail favourite Pippa Middleton; the relationship apparently became too high-profile for Loudon and his family, who were uncomfortable with being subject to such trivial media attention. England’s search for a world-class spin bowler finally ended, of course, with the discovery of Graeme Swann, whose success (as an orthodox finger spinner) has proved pivotal in England becoming the world’s number one test match side.

Tom Acey

Tom Acey

Mancunion Sports Editor 2012-13