lisamurgatroyd

GO – Let them subsidise their own Universities

“They may take our lives, but they’ll never take our FREEDOM!” screamed Hollywood’s William Wallace. But as it turns out, we did. English rule over our rebellious northern cousins had been well established for centuries, and 300 years ago Great Britain was created with the 1707 Act of Union. Has the time finally come for […]

“They may take our lives, but they’ll never take our FREEDOM!” screamed Hollywood’s William Wallace. But as it turns out, we did. English rule over our rebellious northern cousins had been well established for centuries, and 300 years ago Great Britain was created with the 1707 Act of Union. Has the time finally come for Scotland to get their long harboured desire for independence? An upcoming referendum will decide just that.

Despite a long colonialist history, it would seem the greatest support for an independent Scotland would be found south of the border. A recent poll by YouGov for Prospect Magazine has found that English voters favoured either maximum devolution for Scotland or independence by 52% to 32% — a bigger margin of support than in Scotland itself. The logic certainly must be based on the general irritation that Scotland enjoys a generous financial deal which allocates more public spending per head there than in England and enough is enough grumble the English.

As a student, I wholeheartedly agree that it is unfair that I have to pay tuition fees while Scottish students enjoy a free education, subsidised by British taxes. Another example of English taxpayers being hard done by would be with the removal of NHS prescription charges for sick Scots in 2007, whilst those in England choke on the £7.20 charge.

For years, Scottish MPs (of which there are currently 59) have been able to vote on matters which affect English politics, but political decisions which affect Scotland are decided in Holyrood, devoid of English representation. Why should these MPs affect legislation which does not impact on their constituents? The West Lothian question would finally be resolved by the removal of West Lothian.

The alternative to complete independence would be “Devo Max”. A tricky phrase currently bandied around by politicians, it is largely understood to mean the full devolution of all powers with the exception of defence and foreign affairs. Independent in all but force. As long as this would look to balance the books of the ever-generous Scottish welfare state, it seems a reasonable alternative to the risk of going out on a limb with full independence in an unstable eurozone.

Currently, the plans for the referendum are to only open voting to Scottish constituents; however it is surely an issue that will have a massive impact on the rest of the Union. Perhaps it is feared that the oppressive English, with its “occupation”, will quash the Scottish desire for freedom, but I do hope that the government will look to promote a national debate. There are many benefits, especially to a stalled British economy, that can be found in the realisation of Braveheartian dreams.

They already have their own money, a flag, and even a prospective national language. Why not let them go and try it on their own? It shouldn’t be a battle of ugly nationalism, instead we should encourage and foster a feeling of good will with our neighbours.

Disagree? Tweet us @mancuniondebate or email [email protected]