claudia-canavan
21st March 2012

New Year, New(ish) You

A round up of pieces to lead you into the New Year

After inhabiting the same legging and jumper combination through the entirety of exam period, failing to wash my stringy hair as it progressively accrues more and more grease and developing a perverse aversion to the shower, I am now gladly rejoicing that revision’s reign of terror has at last been usurped.
Attempting a return to semi decent dressing and personal hygiene routine in the wake of the New Year is not, however, always the blissful occasion of my expectations. Highlighter stained tops and ancient slippers have become habitual, and, sadly, habits are notoriously hard to break. Looking horrendous has become the student’s badge of pride in an utterly paradoxical way- it lets the world understand just how hard we have been slaving. It tells of midnight runs to the dodgy local shop for a caffeine (or, in my case, chocolate) fix. It accentuates the manic look in our eyes and the dilated pupils that show how long we have been staring at a glowing laptop screen and, most importantly of all, it lets us openly declare the fact that we cannot be judged on our appearance: this is but a temporary measure, and before too long we will be wowing everyone with our dramatic return to civilized society and adhering to the ascetic that it demands of us!

A cursory glance through one’s wardrobe, however, often fails to ignite the burning inspiration that seems to seize the mind in a fitting room. With that in mind, and also considering that the arrival of a new semester’s loan brings the internal justification of purchasing a couple of new bits to reward the slog of incessant cramming, I have selected a few pieces to bring prolonged sartorial pleasure throughout the coming months. This tan Zara bag (£39.99) is simple yet chic, and fresh enough to career any wardrobe into spring.

Uniqlo are brilliant for basics at a fraction of the cost of some of the larger high street chains, and a few lovingly layered cotton shirts and sweatshirts are a pragmatic alternative to the chunky winter coat for the men folk. (Cotton Crew Neck in Dark Grey, £19.90)

In keeping with the layering theme, this H&M short sleeved, form fitting dress would be perfect underneath that eternal tran- seasonal classic, the trench coat. (Scoop Neck Deess, £7.99)

Topman, whilst in many areas being wildly overpriced, are nonetheless good for well designed, good quality bags. This navy satchel bag (£38.00)is versatile and relatively smart without straying into briefcase territory.

Avoiding the poverty that inevitably strikes as term comes to an end is always a battle, but a little something means going forth into the new semester relatively guilt free and armed with an exciting new purchase to let the world know that, despite your temporary lapse into tramp- chic, you are back with a zeal for personal style, and, in the case of half of the universities population, a much missed face full of make- up.
Claudia Canavan

Claudia Canavan

Former fashion editor (2011-2012).

The dos and don’ts of fashion at the Oscars: Breakdown of the 2024 looks

The 96th Academy Awards were full of the glamorous looks you’d expect, but what trends and outfits stood out at the Oscars this year?

Dua Lipa: The new face of YSL

Yves Saint Laurent are marketing towards a new young audience with Dua Lipa as their brand ambassador but what does this mean?