phil-murphy

Live: Cast @ HMV Ritz

The musicianship and energy in their live performance makes for a thoroughly enjoyable night.

Cast
HMV Ritz
4th April
4 stars

Upon mentioning to a friend about my attendance at the Cast gig in Manchester’s impressive HMV Ritz venue, “Cast who?” was their immediate response. Cast were a 1990s Liverpool brit-pop band who spent much of their time flying under the radar of the bigger bands of the era, such as Oasis and Blur. Yet with the ubiquitous Noel Gallagher once describing watching this band’s live performance as a “religious experience”, Cast are one of those bands with more hits than you realize. Recently reforming has produced the new album Troubled Times, which is no departure from their set formula of 60s-tinged guitar pop – a blueprint attributed to many other bands originating from the shores of the Mersey.

The gig began with support band Cold Shoulder who undoubtedly gained to their growing fan base. The three-piece’s quiet-loud rock contrast transfers well to the anticipatory audience.

Cast begin with three new songs, a bold move which ultimately results in a slow start. Older hits such as ‘Finetime’ and the irresistibly catchy ‘Guiding Star’ follow shortly though, gaining a more vociferous crowd response. A mid set lull consisting of the mid-tempo newer songs is broken up with the melancholic ‘Walkaway,’ as the distinctive tight-harmonies of the band shine through.

However, arguably the band’s biggest hit ‘Alright’ is saved for the encore. This is the highlight of the set, as the sheer energy and positivity of the song earns the biggest cheers of the night. Testament to the experienced live performance of Cast is how well newer songs such as ‘See That Girl’ sound in a live setting, emerging with a much fuller sound than is heard on record. An impressive instrumental showpiece closes the show, as each member departs the stage consecutively, climaxing with an epic three minute drum solo. Cast’s guitar-pop sound may be nothing new, but the musicianship and energy in their live performance makes for a thoroughly enjoyable night.

Cast – Time Bomb

Yard Act live in Manchester: An unforgettably ace headline at the O2 Apollo

Yard Act return to the Manchester stage with new album, ‘Where’s My Utopia?’, in a night of dance-party celebration