daniel-jones

Five Songs In The Field Of… Manchester

A quick list of five songs that you should know if you’re living in this city.

Bye Bye Badman’ – The Stone Roses

The transitions in this track are so effortless that you hardly notice yourself nodding away by the time the rolling snares kick in for the chorus.  Ian Brown affirms his legendary status with a delicate vocal line that soars out of your speakers and into your ears.

Rusholme Ruffians – The Smiths

An example of Morrissey’s croon at its finest.  The bassline gets into your head quicker than Usain Bolt on a good day but thankfully, it runs for longer than 10 seconds.  It’s also a great soundtrack if you’re on the Curry Mile and you’re just going past The Huntsman.

Over My Shoulder – I Am Kloot

This undeniable gem in the Manchester repertoire is one of the most chilled songs you’re ever likely to hear.  I Am Kloot never really got any great national exposure but here they exhibit why they are one of the most original sounding bands to come out of the city.

Disorder’ – Joy Division

It’s a bit of a paradox that Ian Curtis managed to make so many people happy by revealing the most isolated corners of his mind.  In this, one of the best tunes off Unknown Pleasures, his precise lyrics sit perfectly over the gritty, pulsating rhythm created by Hook, Sumner and co.

Step On’ – Happy Mondays

One of the most drug fuelled songs ever made.  Keeping that in mind, I’m genuinely surprised at how good it sounds.  Also, if you don’t hear somebody say “you’re twisting my melon, man” at least once between now and June then I will personally buy you a lifetime supply of melons.

Live review: Renée Rapp at the O2 Apollo

On the heels of her recent success as Regina George in the Mean Girls reboot, Renée Rapp performed in Manchester for the first time and what a night it was

Album review: The Foyer Project – In: Static

Dark, dramatic, devastating: the experimental, UoM-student-produced album has been remixed and reissued alongside a selection of previously-unreleased tracks

Everything Everything: “I’m just trying to reflect the effect of this system on humanity”

In advance of ‘Mountainhead’, Jonathan from Everything Everything talks to us about Manchester bands, capitalist realism, Stockport, and staying experimental

The 1975 live in Manchester: A romantic night at the arena

British pop-rock band, The 1975, brought their highly talked about ‘At their very best’ show back to the UK after a year, rebranded as ‘Still…At their very best’