josephine-lane

Must See This Week In Theatre: 15th October-22nd October

The best of theatre for the week ahead.

Light-Hearted Intercourse

Light-Hearted Intercourse has its world premiere this week after being unearthed from Bill Naughton’s (Bolton’s most famous playwright) archives and being brought to life by director David Thacker. The play looks at a young couple in the 1920s adjusting to married life whilst keeping secrets from their pasts from each other.

Runs until 3rd November at The Bolton Octagon. Tickets £9.50-£15.50

Dolly Parton – 9 to 5 The Musical

Written by the buxom bombshell herself, 9 to 5 begins its UK tour in Manchester this week. The story follows  office workers Violet, Judy and Doralee as they turn the tables on their sexist, bigoted boss.

Runs until 20th October at the Manchester Opera House. Tickets £15-£42

Afrovibes 2012

Touring African festival, Afrovibes comes to The Contact Theatre for a week of contemporary performance. Containing dance, theatre, spoken word and music events, Afrovibes promises to be ‘thought-provoking, challenging and stimulating’.

Runs until 20th October at The Contact Theatre.

Ticket prices vary

Borderline Vultures

An interactive, 360-degree experience taking place in a ‘secret Salford location’ , exploring communication where there is no common language. Performed as part of the InOnTheAct festival.

Runs until 28th October at The Lowry Theatre

Student Tickets £10

Between You and Me

Performed by Performing Arts students from The University of Salford, Between You and Me is an interactive interaction between the audience and the characters of Charles Dickens and his Manchester-born peer Harrison Ainsworth. Inspired by images and ideas of plotting, haunting, the macabre, and the grotesque, the piece will undoubtedly be an exciting experience.  Performed as part of the InOnTheAct festival.

Runs 20th to 21st October at The Lowry Theatre

Tickets £5 or free on the 21st. 

Sweat at The Royal Exchange review: It didn’t make me sweat (or shed blood, or tears)

Lynn Nottage’s gritty play about the interconnected lives of nine Americans, living and working in one of the poorest towns in Pennsylvania, had all of the potential and material: but, disappointingly, it just didn’t deliver what it should have

The Kite Runner review: Unflinching look generational trauma and the divided history of Afghanistan

Giles Croft’s adaptation of Khalid Hosseini’s novel movingly explores friendship, betrayal, and redemption while also educating and enlightening audiences on the tumultuous political and cultural history of Afghanistan. It is an innovative and immersive piece of theatre that remains poignant and important in today’s climate

42 Balloons review: An inspiring musical about dreams, sacrifices and a lawn chair

Charlie McCullagh’s and Evelyn Hoskins’ elevated chemistry blew us away

Urinetown: The Musical review – UMMTS doesn’t piss about

UMMTS once again fails to disappoint. Urinetown, despite its name, is a delight (GASP!)