emma-williams

Ethical Style Icon: Emma Watson

Emma Williams presents a famous representative for ethically sourced fashion
Ethical Style Icon: Emma Watson

Emma Watson has come a long way in the style stakes from her first appearance as a frizzy-haired, cape-donning wizard back in 2001; becoming the face of Burberry and style icon for her generation with her daring red carpet choices and beauty decisions (who could forget her Mia Farrow-like crop back in 2010?). But far from being a glorified clothes horse, Watson has become an advocate for ethical fashion since launching her own collection for eco-chic brand, People Tree in 2010, and choosing to pursue the opportunity of designing her own collection based on her own passion for promoting Fair Trade and organic produce.

Frustrated with the ‘fast fashion’ and capital priority of the high street, Watson chose to design a line that was fashionable and youthful as well as fair and moral: from the source of its fabric to its manufacturing. The actress’ fervour for inspiring such a revolution in the way that brands should prioritise their designs is evident, basing the collection on the style of her friends and producing wardrobe basics that could stand alongside the mass-produced high street names.

Last year, Watson put her hands to another project of sustainable fashion with renowned Italian designer Alberta Ferretti—‘Pure Threads’—which saw a capsule collection comprised of five lace-embellished pieces that marries the star’s own style with Ferretti’s ethereal flourishes; all under the ethical values that Watson has prioritised in her projects. Clothing doesn’t seem to be her only eco-venture either, as it has been reported that the Harry Potter star has been in talks with Lancôme to produce a range of eco-friendly beauty products.

Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was red hair in? Read our beauty article to find out why red hair is trending in the celebrity world and what it means for the real gingers of the world
Beauty is in the eyes of the colonizer

Beauty is in the eyes of the colonizer

We discuss the damaging impacts of western beauty standards on women of colour in society today. Ideas of beauty should not be restrictive.
In the Beauty Bag #8

In the Beauty Bag #8

Have a look inside the beauty bag of fashion marketing student Zahra and see what products she recommends, from hair care miracles to skin care must haves.
Accounting for Style #12 – Second Hand Retail Therapy

A second year student who loves second hand shopping and relies on retail therapy records her spending for the month