emma-williams

Ethical Style Icon: Emma Watson

Emma Williams presents a famous representative for ethically sourced fashion

Emma Watson has come a long way in the style stakes from her first appearance as a frizzy-haired, cape-donning wizard back in 2001; becoming the face of Burberry and style icon for her generation with her daring red carpet choices and beauty decisions (who could forget her Mia Farrow-like crop back in 2010?). But far from being a glorified clothes horse, Watson has become an advocate for ethical fashion since launching her own collection for eco-chic brand, People Tree in 2010, and choosing to pursue the opportunity of designing her own collection based on her own passion for promoting Fair Trade and organic produce.

Frustrated with the ‘fast fashion’ and capital priority of the high street, Watson chose to design a line that was fashionable and youthful as well as fair and moral: from the source of its fabric to its manufacturing. The actress’ fervour for inspiring such a revolution in the way that brands should prioritise their designs is evident, basing the collection on the style of her friends and producing wardrobe basics that could stand alongside the mass-produced high street names.

Last year, Watson put her hands to another project of sustainable fashion with renowned Italian designer Alberta Ferretti—‘Pure Threads’—which saw a capsule collection comprised of five lace-embellished pieces that marries the star’s own style with Ferretti’s ethereal flourishes; all under the ethical values that Watson has prioritised in her projects. Clothing doesn’t seem to be her only eco-venture either, as it has been reported that the Harry Potter star has been in talks with Lancôme to produce a range of eco-friendly beauty products.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse