joanna-fox

Mini pasta-risotto hybrid

Making the world feel better one bowl at a time

Two days of unrelenting, solid rain combined with several particularly long days at Uni had severely blackened my mood. I turn to comfort food for quick nourishment. Cue revelatory discovery that I can make a risotto-style meal in under 15 minutes. I achieved this using something mini pasta shapes, a concept introduced to me by my friend whose Mum apparently always cooks this for her when she’s ill to make her feel better.

To make one dinner, plus one to reheat the next night:

200g baby pasta – I used orzo but any tiny pasta pieces will do

1 packet of bacon lardons

1 onion, chopped

4-5 sun dried tomatoes, chopped

285g of a tomato-based pasta sauce of your choice

1 small tin of peas, drained

Splash of Worcester sauce

25g grated cheese

Cook pasta according to instructions. Meanwhile, fry the lardons, onion and sun dried tomatoes together until the bacon is cooked (approx. 5 minutes).

Drain the pasta and then mix it into the fried mixture on a low heat. Mix in the tomato sauce, peas Worcester sauce and cheese. The consistency should be quite thick. Continue heating until the sauce is heated and the cheese is melted.

Rusholme’s finest sandwich is the Kurdish shawarma at Al-Zain

This Curry Mile favourite serves shawarma and beautifully fresh salad in freshly baked bread, and its affordable food is some of Manchester’s best

Pancake day: Two recipes to enjoy on February 13

February 13 is the traditional Pancake Day, so here are two recipes and some inspiration for making and enjoying some pancakes, either with your housemates, friends or on your own

A foodie’s guide to celebrating Chinese New Year in Manchester

2024, the Year of the Dragon – here are all of our recommendations for where to celebrate in style in Manchester

Boogie on down to The Blues Kitchen’s all-new Friday happy hour

£6 cocktails, free chicken wings and live music: The Blues Kitchen’s Friday happy hour is an offer you won’t be able to resist