michael-williams

Students disciplined for Savile social

Fines and community service for students that dressed as young girls and Jimmy Savile

Students at Durham University have been disciplined after holding a Jimmy Savile-themed social.

St. Cuthbert’s Society Men’s Rugby Club asked freshers to dress up as young girls, second years as Jimmy Savile and third and fourth years as policemen and Panorama reporters.

Members of the group also reportedly tried to steal a dartboard from one campus bar, and one person stripped naked in another.

In response the club has been banned from all fixtures for the remainder of the year, and the social secretaries and club captain are being made to undertake 20 hours of community service. Every person who attended the social will also be fined £50.

The club has requested that if the fine is to be paid, that the funds go to the Hospice of St Francis in Berkhamstead – the charity the club is supporting for ‘Movember’.

The college rugby website lists the A and B teams in the bottom two positions of the league tables. The A team were runners up in the Floodlit Cup last year, and the B team were First Division champions. Their seven games still to play this year will be counted as 40-0 losses.

A University spokesperson said: “The University has been made aware of an incident. We take such matters very seriously.”

“The students’ college has investigated the incident and disciplinary action is being taken.”

“Appetite” for escalation, says UoM Rent Strike

The University of Manchester Rent Strike claims to have withheld half a million pounds in rent, and have threatened to escalate the strike further