daniel-harold

Top 5: Oscar hosts

Daniel Harold counts down his favourite Oscar hosts

HUGH JACKMAN (2009)

The Aussie charmed his way through the ceremony in 2009, making the most of the Oscar’s musical history with an opening number which saw him duet with Anne Hathaway in a more light-hearted precursor to this year’s Les Misérables.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG (1994, 1996, 1999, 2001)

In 1993, Goldberg became the first woman to host the event. The fact that she was asked back a further three times shows just how good she was at it. Goldberg’s shows had an informality and a relaxed nature that is often missing from the Oscars.

BILLY CRYSTAL (1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2004, 2012)

Over a span of more than two decades, Crystal’s hosted nine times. His wit, warmth and originality (evident never more than in 1991 when he opened the show by riding a horse onto the stage) have made him the king of the modern Academy Awards.

JON STEWART (2006, 2008)

When David Letterman hosted the show a few years earlier it was widely regarded as a disaster – his brand of humour didn’t transfer well to the Oscars. Fast forward to 2006 and the edgy ‘Daily Show’ host had no such trouble, even taking Stephen Colbert along for the ride.

STEVE MARTIN & ALEC BALDWIN (2010)

Steve Martin had hosted the Oscars twice before to great success. But it was in 2010, when paired with hosting debutant Alec Baldwin, that Martin was really at his best.

“When I say I’m a virgin, no one believes me”: The Sisterhood of Mustang

Mustang stunningly captures a notion of female unity, it is distinctive in its relevancy to contemporary feminist movements
Aftersun review: A searingly original debut

Charlotte Well’s directorial debut tackles the fallibility of the parent and the limitations of childhood perspective
The Wonder review: Florence Pugh works wonders in gritty period drama

Florence Pugh is miraculous as she tackles faith and science head-on in Sebastian Lelio’s dark Netflix period drama
Keeping it in the family: Hollywood’s Nepotism Babies

Hollywood’s nepotism babies seem to be getting more attention on TikTok than they do on screen, here’s why