polly-checkland-harding
2nd March 2013

Live: Caitlin Rose

A tepid perfomance from the Tennessee songstress was matched by an unenthusiastic crowd

1st March 2013

Ruby Lounge

4/10

Caitlin Rose looks like a devotional painting when she sings. With demure hair and eyes raised piously above the audience, she seems strangely detached from the sounds coming out her mouth. The purity and long reach of her voice is undeniable; on songs such as ‘For the Rabbits’ from her 2010 debut Own Side Now, the pining notes are the heart of the song. However, such settled vocal confidence dulls the grit and risk in the performance.

The audience too are curiously uptight and, though the gig is sold out, the enthusiasm during the set remains coldly restrained; talkers are shushed, jostlers tutted. It is only when Rose’s eyes drop between songs and connect with the crowd that the gig achieves any energy. Following the gently harmonized ‘Only a Clown’, from her new release The Stand In (2013), Rose starts a running gag in her Tennessee lilt, about how it is “glorious – wet and musky in here”; she closes a song by saying impishly “Thank you for your perspiration” and gets a proper laugh when using sweat as a ploy to sell t-shirts.

Speaking, Rose seems charmingly spontaneous. Musically, she slips into formula, repeating the blueprint of two or three steady verses then a guitar riff, followed by a final, more lively, round up: ‘Menagerie’, a romp that gets the audience bobbing reluctantly, is one of a few exceptions to this. Even the band’s encore is on automatic pilot: they go through the motions and stand off to the side, but don’t bother to leave the stage. Towards the end of the gig, an audience member pipes up with “We love you!”. Rose’s pat reply sums up her style playing live: “Aw, I love you too… we mean it as much as we can.”

Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Live Review: Aitch at Club Academy

Mancunian rapper Aitch played an intimate album launch show, combining old favourites and new numbers for a sold out crowd.
Leeds Festival 2022: Women Rule Most Diverse Line-Up To Date

Leeds Festival invited six headliners: Arctic Monkeys, The 1975, Dave, Megan Thee Stallion, Halsey, and Bring Me The Horizon to perform to sold out crowds over the August bank holiday weekend.
All Points East 2022: Disclosure bring the dance party to London

The final weekend of All Points East brought out the sequins and glitter, resulting in a huge dance party in East London.
All Points East 2022: Tame Impala let down by shoddy sound

Headlining All Points East, Tame Impala were let down by shoddy sound despite fantastic performances from Montell Fish and FKJ.