miles-zilesnick

Dos & Don’ts: From hired to fired

Miles Zilesnick gives some simple style DOs and DON’Ts for that all-important interview.

As many of you may be approaching the end of your university careers, it’s time for a lot of us to join the real world. Regrettably this involves getting jobs and a big part of that is the interview process. Knowing what to say is one part, but you need to look the part too, unless you quite like rejection. So, here are my DOs and DON’Ts of interview apparel.

DO:

1. Phone ahead and ask the dress code, you’ll normally be given one. Some companies are more casual than you’d expect. Remember though, it’s always best to be too smart than too scruffy. I know people who have even put on a suit for a Skype interview: it shows you care.

2. Iron. It might be a tricky concept for some of you but a creased shirt can very easily crease their opinion of you.

3. Wear a white shirt. It matches pretty much everything and gives you more room for creativity with your watch, hair and pocket square (the list goes on…). Quite simply, it reduces the chance of overkill.

4. As before, stick to safer colours. Suits should stay in darker colours in professional instances. That electric blue blazer might have gotten 64 likes on Instagram but your future boss probably isn’t on Instagram and doesn’t care that you’re #instafashionable.

5. Shine your shoes. Or buy new shoes. Just have nice shoes (and by that I don’t mean ‘smart’ high-tops.) They’re probably more important than the shirt. If you don’t look professional you won’t be seen as professional.

Photo: Miles Zilesnick Photo: Miles Zilesnick

DON’T:

1. Wear glasses if you don’t need them. It doesn’t make you look smarter, and if they find out you’ll probably be laughed at.

2. Accessorise. Unless you’re looking for a job as a pimp just stick to a watch. Bling won’t help you here.

3. Be too unique. Be yourself, but remember to maybe tone it down a little. You can still stand out but you don’t need to be catwalk fashionable. Justin Timberlake managed to pull of the shiny suit but that’s because he’s, well, Justin Timberlake.

4. Wear a ‘fun tie’. They’re not fun. They’re stupid.

5. Be afraid to pamper yourself before. Moisturising will help you look healthier and make sure to ensure your nails are clean and well trimmed. Remember to shave or trim. Nothing says, “hire me” more than that “just-out-of-a-slum” look.

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you