pippa-allen-kinross

Piccadilly rapist convicted

Thomas Hall raped three women and sexually assaulted another in just one hour

The serial rapist who attacked four women in an hour near Manchester Piccadilly station has been indefinitely detained.

Paranoid schizophrenic Thomas Hall, 33, raped three sex workers and sexually assaulted another after the ‘voices’ in his head told him to.

Two women were forced to run half-naked down the street and beg passing motorists for help.

The final victim heard him boasting over the phone after his attack saying “I’ve done three or four now. I’ve had the best night of my life”.

Judge Richard Mansell QC said: “You are a very dangerous man. Ordinarily you would receive lengthy custodial sentence running well into double figures”.

“These offences demonstrate serious violence and sexual violence. You pose a risk not just to women, but people generally.”

Adrian Farrow, defending, said that Hall suffered flashbacks from a troubling childhood experience.

At the time of the attack, 5th March 2013, he was already on police bail for raping another woman a month earlier.

Hall, who also suffers from personality disorders, pleaded guilty to four counts of rape, one sexual assault and assault causing actual bodily harm.

He has been detained under the mental health act at maximum security Ashworth Hospital, currently also holding Dale Cregan and Ian Brady.

He cannot be released without approval of doctors and a mental health tribunal.

Mayor’s Question Time: Andy Burnham faces questions from Manchester students

On September 29 Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, answered student’s questions at a Question Time event, with issues ranging from transport and housing to the monarchy and devolution
Exclusive: SU secures £360,000 in funding to help with cost-of-living crisis

Exclusive: The SU has announced £360,000 in funding from the University of Manchester to help students with the cost-of-living crisis
Greater Manchester Student Assembly petition for £1.50 cap on student bus fares

Five student unions in the Greater Manchester area, collectively called the Greater Manchester Student Assembly, have written to Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, to petition him for a £1.50 cap on public transport for students.
Oversubscription leads to quarter-million pound pay-out for Manchester freshers

Oversubscription has caused over 100 University of Manchester freshers to take £2500 pay-outs from the University to live in Liverpool as the demand for Halls of Residence exceeds the supply.