ben-walker
21st September 2013

Welcome to the wonderful world of Food and Drink

Over the year we will endeavour to help you eat and drink your way around Manchester’s finest establishments, with also recipe ideas and advice to cook up a storm at home too. In the past five years or so the craft beer and casual dining movement has gone from a niche interest to a becoming […]

Over the year we will endeavour to help you eat and drink your way around Manchester’s finest establishments, with also recipe ideas and advice to cook up a storm at home too.

In the past five years or so the craft beer and casual dining movement has gone from a niche interest to a becoming the heart and soul of the Manchester food and drink scene, and with two Michel Star Simon Rogan opening The French in March 2013, we are students at a very exciting time in Manchester’s gastronomic evolution. Added to the vibrant Curry Mile, the out laying villages of East and West Didsbury and Chorlton; there is a lot to eat and drink in 2013/14.

The Union Bar, open 11am-midnight 7 days a week (Mancunion)

The first two weeks of any University year, whether it’s your first or even your seventh, it is crazy, hectic, and ultimately fun. Here we have assembled what we think are the best places in the Manchester University bubble for food and drink, keeping around the Oxford Road corridor, whilst we all get into the groove of the new academic year. Also we have come up with a few tips that we thought could be of use to you in these first busy weeks.

There will be a lot of drinking going on, as I’m sure many of you are looking forward to, but remember there is absolutely no pressure for anyone to have to drink either to excess or even at all. Also, we hope that you consider what you’re eating, if you are in catered halls then your diet will be looked after for you, to a great extent. If you are self-catered or living in a house, try strike a balance between wholesome ‘home-cooking’ and quick and convenient meals—but always try and be creative.

Hopefully here we have catered for a broad range of interests and tastes—drinking venues, culinary destinations, and informed advice that will hopefully contribute to a fantastic start to the semester.

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes

The concept of small plate dining

Tapas, dim sum, chaat, meze, banchan and more!