sean-doherty
23rd September 2013

Fallowfield female jogger warning

Police appeal for information on a series sexual harrasment cases in Fallowfield

Police have issued a warning to female joggers in South Manchester following a string of reports from women who have complained about being harassed.

Nine separate incidents have been reported to the police. Most occurred in Disdsbury between the hours of 6pm and 8pm, but some have taken place in the area surrounding Sainsbury’s on Wilmslow Road between the hours of 10pm and 1am. All the incidents reported took place between the 21st and 29th August.

In most of the cases reported, the man involved followed the female joggers on his bike, staring at them in a manner which made them uncomfortable. In some instances, the women were also subject to sexual comments. All the women who reported an incident felt they were victims of harassment which caused them to feel distressed.

The person being accused of harassment has been described as a white male in either his late 20s or early 30s, wearing a dark baseball cap and occasionally a rucksack. The victims’ ages ranged from 23 to 38.

Detective Inspector Mark Radford said, “We don’t want to unduly alarm anyone, but it would be remiss of us not to warn people about these incidents.

“At this stage the offender hasn’t progressed towards physically attacking anyone, but that doesn’t lessen the impact of what he is doing.

“To be followed and then stared at by a stranger is, at best creepy, and at worst really sinister. I now want people to take a good look at the efit and call us if you recognise him.

“I also want to advise people, particularly women joggers, to take some simple precautions, especially if out at night.

“Stick to well-lit areas, be aware of your surroundings and, if possible, go out jogging with a friend.

“We are taking these offences very seriously and I want to reassure residents that we are doing our utmost to catch the offender.”

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 4973.

Sean Doherty

Sean Doherty

News Editor

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine

Nominations for Students’ Union Awards 2024 now open

Students can nominate themselves or others for the awards, which fall into four separate categories, with each award having its own awards night

UNiDAYS announce opening of Student Woman of the Year competition

The UNiDAYS-run competition aims to support female students who are making a difference and offers a £10,000 first prize for entrepreneurial initiatives