olivia-stevens
21st October 2013

I am, I am, I am: Reflections on Sylvia Plath

Olivia Stevens heads to the Martin Harris Centre to hear celebrated writers Ali Smith and Jackie Kay reflect on the legacy of Sylvia Plath

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Bell Jar, the Manchester Literature Festival turned its attention to the work of Sylvia Plath for an evening. The event was led by multi-award winning author Ali Smith and Manchester-based poet Jackie Kay.

Smith and Kay read poems spanning Plath’s career, starting with “The Disquieting Muses” and ending with “Edge”, the last poem she wrote before her death. They then read extracts from The Bell Jar, before taking questions from the audience.

The poems selected showcased Plath’s skills as a writer, and The Bell Jar extracts emphasized the black humour present in Plath’s work, which is not always recognised.

One of the most interesting parts of the event was to hear the impact that Plath had had on the two writers. Both talked of how Plath’s work had taught them that women could have a place in poetry. They spoke with huge adoration for Plath, with Kay mentioning her poem “Baby Lazarus”, an obvious homage to one of Plath’s most famous texts.

Equally interesting was Smith and Kay’s exploration of the mythology of Plath and the tendency to overemphasise the relation that her work has to her life. Both writers highlighted the tight structure and controlled forms of most of her poems to show that they were not simply a frenzied cry for help but beautiful artworks in their own right.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the event, I would have preferred to hear more from Smith and Kay about the effect Plath’s work had had, not only on their careers, but on them. It may have also been interesting to reflect on Plath’s legacy outside the literary world. However, the event was still a fascinating insight into the two writers as well as a wonderful chance to reflect on the brilliance of Plath’s work.

Poetic Prizes: The Forward Prizes takes on the North

After relocating to Manchester’s Contract Theatre, the Mancunion attends the prestigious Forward Prizes for a night of awe and bereavement

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book