sarah-murray

Top 5: Musical sequences not from a musical

Sarah countdowns the musical moments in movies which make you want to stand up and boogie

5. The 40-Year-Old Virgin

SPOILER ALERT: Predictably, the film closes with protagonist Steve Carell finally losing that burdensome cherry at the ripe old age of 40. He proceeds to celebrate said coitus with the lads in a fun fantasy musical rendition of ‘Aquarius’/’Let the Sunshine In’.

4. Anchorman

In another Judd Apatow classic, Ron Burgundy and the gang explain to us the meaning of love with a spontaneous barbershop quartet performance of ‘Afternoon Delight.’

3. (500) Days of Summer

Life is beautiful, you’re in love, and the only logical way to express your joy is through the medium of Hall and Oats. We’ve all been there. Only Joseph Gordon-Levitt has a flash mob to help him celebrate his recent hook-up with the beautiful Zooey Deschanel.

2. Beetlejuice

In a darkly comic scene that could only be the brainchild of director Tim Burton, the guests of a dinner party, hosted by the Deetz family, become possessed by the ghosts of the recently deceased Adam and Barbara Maitland. Wanting to scare the living inhabitants out of their old home, the Maitlands take control of their bodies and groove to ‘Day-O (The Banana Boat Song).’

1. Wayne’s World

There’s something about Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ that makes the urge to rock out literally impossible to suppress. Topping the list is the opening scene of Wayne’s World, the ultimate car ride sing-a-long that has everybody watching head-banging and air-guitaring with them.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?