jackson-ball

Top 5: Tragic Nolan love interests

Jackson Ball gives us his top 5 christopher nolan countdown of leading ladies who didn’t make it to the end of the film

5. Leonard’s Wife – Memento (2000)

The events of Memento are set into motion after the violent murder of Leonard’s (Guy Pearce) wife. Her death leads him on a relentless vendetta to catch her killer, a quest that is forever stunted by his short-term memory loss.

4. Julia – The Prestige (2006)

Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale are warring magicians and bitter rivals. It’s revealed in flashback that their animosity stemmed from Julia (Piper Perabo), their former assistant and mutual love interest who was accidentally drowned during a failed magic trick.

3. Kay Connel – Insomnia (2002)

More of a reluctant love interest this one, as high-school student Kay is the subject of Walter Finch’s (Robin Williams) unreturned affections. Finch does not take the rejection well, leading to an investigation by detective Will Dormer (Al Pacino).

2. Rachel Dawes – The Dark Knight (2008)

Poor Bruce Wayne: His parents were murdered, The Joker is terrorising the city the love of his life is in the arms of the perpetually smug Harvey Dent. Nolan then takes Bruce’s misery to an unprecedented level by turning Rachel into ‘collateral damage’ as part of Joker’s evil plan.

1. Mal Cobb – Inception (2010)

If Christopher Nolan rained down tragedy upon Bruce Wayne, surely he raised the depression for Inception’s Dom Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio). Not only did he inadvertently cause the death of his beloved wife Mal (Marion Cotillard), but he is constantly reminded by that fact when she appears in dreams to kill him and his friends, like a glamorous Freddie Krueger.      

The Good Nurse: Prioritising patients over personal gain

The Good Nurse takes a sensitive and informative approach towards depicting true, harrowing events
Screaming Queens: representations of trans history

Susan Stryker’s Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton’s Cafeteria represents the radical potential for trans history narratives in cinema
Glass Onion review: Rian Johnson’s well crafted whodunnit

The sequel to Johnson’s Knives Out murder mystery has finally arrived with Glass Onion and here’s what The Mancunion have to say about it
Bones and All review: A bloody mess

Bones and All review: A bloody mess

Bones and All has been set up to be a gory revision of Romeo and Juliet fuelled by cannibalistic addiction and love. With a strong cast and alluring cinematography, why did it feel lacklustre?