A celebration of British Fashion

Charlie Daniels reflects on what makes British fashion so Great.

The Winter trends of this year have officially been unwrapped and once again encompass the traditional roots of our British Heritage. Squares, checks and tartans of all colours have become Winter’s definitive prints, paying homage to our nineties nostalgia. Androgynous mixes of punk rebellion clothing, set contrastingly alongside the pale pink pallets of our traditional English Roses, are what makes British Fashion so exciting. From the iconic Burberry trench coat to the waxy wardrobe staple of the Barbour jacket, from the Hunter Welly to the tweed jacket; the English Heritage trend has always been popular on and off the catwalk, each year reinforced by the likes of Alexa Chung and Kate Moss (and then copied by the rest of the word!)

www.barbour.com/uk

From these iconic British cover-ups (thanks to the characteristically wet weather) to the equally iconic yellow stitching, the rise of the Doc Marten boot is now quintessential of British Fashion and has been adored by punks and persons alike since the 1960s. We also have Glastonbury to thank for the distinctive festival style that has made wellies, fringed kimonos and glitter the style staples of our summers, not to mention the ‘just got out of bed messy hair that actually took me two hours’ hair-do. Today we also uphold our rich tradition of DIY fashion, embellishing old denim jackets, studding leather, ripping jeans; just as our ancestors did with the safety pins of the punk era.

www.hunter-boot.com

Not only do us Brits have original ownership of these trends, our little island produces some of the most innovative fashion designers in the world to add to our ever-growing collection of British styles. With British designers such as, Vivienne Westwood, notable for starting the punk and new wave trends (alongside Malcolm McLaren), Alexander McQueen, Mary Katrantzou and Giles Deacon; it is no wonder why British style is paving the way for fashion innovation elsewhere in the world.

British fashion offers such a vast palette of distinctive styles – from sleek tailoring to grungy knitwear, prominent patterns to pastel coloured separates – anything goes in a country where great style is everywhere but nonetheless inspiring wherever you find yourself.

Burberry trench coat. www.alexandru-remus.ro

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?