bernadette-chapman
3rd December 2013

Top 5 Songs… about Clothes

Songs to soundtrack a catwalk

Chris de Burgh – Lady in Red

Electric drums, the gentle guitar riff played with overbite, classic synth, and Chris’s smooth ‘mmmms.’ You cannot get any better. Literally; it’s Partridge endorsed you know.

Weezer – Undone (the Sweater Song)

Made when Weezer were on the precipice of the frat-rock genre. If only they stopped at this song about pulling a sweater thread until there’s nothing left, instead of going on to record ‘Beverley Hills.’

Velvet Underground – Venus in Furs

‘Venus in Furs’ is drone music with a mysticism fetish and very few chords. It sonically aches with its story of love and obsession.

The Cramps – I Wanna Get in Your Pants

Imagine the dancing in Dirty Dancing was actually as sleazy as everyone in the film pretended it was and multiply by a factor of surf. Perfect rock ‘n’ sleaze.

Pissed Jeans – Caught Licking Leather

I have no idea what they’re on about. The drums march on, but everything else bleeds in and out of the track in a fantastically noisy fashion. Brilliant.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark