ant-cornish

Top 5: 70’s Soundtracks

Ant Cornish gives us his top 5 sounds of the seventies
Top 5: 70’s Soundtracks

5. A Clockwork Orange

“Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh.” Such are the thoughts of Alex as he listens to Beethoven’s 9th – and it is hard not to share this opinion with him as the use of 18th century music perfectly captures the timeless genius of this Kubrick masterpiece.

4. Manhattan

“New York was his town, and it always would be.” Just as Woody Allen announces his ownership of the city to the backdrop of its various wonders, there is an eruption of classical jazz in the form of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue. Rarely does a piece of music capture the essence of a scene so well.

3. Jaws

“We’re gonna need a bigger boat.” The gripping leitmotif that signifies the imminent arrival of the villainous great white shark (Jaws to his friends) has since become of the most famous musical scores in cinematic history. Hats off to John Williams.

2. The Godfather

“I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” This Nino Rota composition is the musical manifestation of mafia. It carries the Sicilian roots of Corleone into America with unquestionable sincerity and style.

1. Taxi Driver

“Thank God for the rain to wash the trash off the sidewalk.” And thank God for Bernard Herrmann to wash the sleaze out of 1970s New York. The remarkable beauty of the saxophone provides elegance in a vice-ridden city producing the ultimate effect of juxtaposition.

Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.
Moon Knight: A predictable return to Marvel’s superhero formula

Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke shine in this disappointing first outing of one of Marvel’s most controversial characters
Review: The Kardashians

Review: The Kardashians

Keeping Up is long gone, it’s all about the Kardashian’s new show… The Kardashians! But with it only being available on Disney+, is it worth the subscription?
Resurgence of the witch: The modern feminist icon?

From Rosemary’s Baby to Midsommar, how has the figure of the witch changed in cinema and beyond?