gaby-baxter
21st October 2014

Club: Ape vs Ram Jam @ Warehouse Project

Ape vs Ram Jam provide a night of debauchery and drum and bass

11th October

Store Street

7.5/10

This week’s Warehouse Project offering was certainly not for the fainthearted. Boasting arguably one of the best line-ups of the season, revellers descended on the new/old Store Street venue ready for a night of debauchery and drum and bass.

Opening with sets from Rich Reason, Dismantle and Chimpo, the night was in full swing by the time David Rodigan took to the stage in a packed out Room 1. Despite playing the same predictable set, there’s no arguing that Rodigan’s blend of jungle, dancehall and reggae classics is always loved by the crowd. Now well into his 60s, the radio broadcasting legend still manages to bring the heat in all his towel whirling glory with massive tunes such as ‘Incredible’ and ‘Jah No Partial’—and, of course, the tune no Rodigan set would be complete without: ‘Welcome to Jamrock’.

DJ EZ delivered the more melodic tunes of the evening, smashing out old-school favourites such as Daniel Beddingfield’s ‘Gotta Get Thru This’, and even Chic’s ‘Le Freak’, proving that the most hardcore of punters still go fucking nuts for disco. Ending on Benga’s massive dubstep classic ‘Night’, EZ’s set appealed to the diverse crowd of past their prime ravers and freshly corrupted students.

DJ EZ
DJ EZ

From then on the night took a ferocious turn, the next few hours a blur of flashing strobes and thumping bass. Andy C’s raucous set was the clear pinnacle of the evening, bringing an hour of high-energy tunes to an army of gurning faces. Dropping banger after sweat-inducing banger, the undisputed king of drum and bass finished on his infamous remix of Major Lazer’s ‘Get Free’. Wilkinson polished off the evening with hits such as ‘Take You Higher’ and chart topping ‘Afterglow’. As the crowd began to thin out, only the true nutters with enough stamina (or class As) remained, skanking away well into the wee hours of the morning.

The return to the famous arches under Piccadilly certainly did not disappoint. The smaller crowd is a welcome change from the battery farm packed Victoria Warehouse, and this week the WHP team certainly provided a satisfyingly wild evening leaving you needing a week of sleep and a cuddle from your mum.

Live Review: Lea Salonga at Bridgewater Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Lea Salonga’s Dream Again Tour at the Bridgewater Hall
Live Review: Peaches brings her Teaches to Manchester

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor reviews Peaches’ stop at the O2 Ritz on her Teaches of Peaches 20th anniversary tour.
Live Review: Horsegirl at YES Manchester

Kevin Thomas reviews Horsegirl’s enthralling show at YES Manchester
Saint Etienne Live Review: Back with a splash

Izzy Langhamer reviews the latest ‘Saint Etienne’ gig, which saw them perform latest releases from ‘I’ve Been Trying To Tell You’, as well as fan favourites and 90s hits