gaby-baxter
21st October 2014

Club: Ape vs Ram Jam @ Warehouse Project

Ape vs Ram Jam provide a night of debauchery and drum and bass

11th October

Store Street

7.5/10

This week’s Warehouse Project offering was certainly not for the fainthearted. Boasting arguably one of the best line-ups of the season, revellers descended on the new/old Store Street venue ready for a night of debauchery and drum and bass.

Opening with sets from Rich Reason, Dismantle and Chimpo, the night was in full swing by the time David Rodigan took to the stage in a packed out Room 1. Despite playing the same predictable set, there’s no arguing that Rodigan’s blend of jungle, dancehall and reggae classics is always loved by the crowd. Now well into his 60s, the radio broadcasting legend still manages to bring the heat in all his towel whirling glory with massive tunes such as ‘Incredible’ and ‘Jah No Partial’—and, of course, the tune no Rodigan set would be complete without: ‘Welcome to Jamrock’.

DJ EZ delivered the more melodic tunes of the evening, smashing out old-school favourites such as Daniel Beddingfield’s ‘Gotta Get Thru This’, and even Chic’s ‘Le Freak’, proving that the most hardcore of punters still go fucking nuts for disco. Ending on Benga’s massive dubstep classic ‘Night’, EZ’s set appealed to the diverse crowd of past their prime ravers and freshly corrupted students.

DJ EZ

From then on the night took a ferocious turn, the next few hours a blur of flashing strobes and thumping bass. Andy C’s raucous set was the clear pinnacle of the evening, bringing an hour of high-energy tunes to an army of gurning faces. Dropping banger after sweat-inducing banger, the undisputed king of drum and bass finished on his infamous remix of Major Lazer’s ‘Get Free’. Wilkinson polished off the evening with hits such as ‘Take You Higher’ and chart topping ‘Afterglow’. As the crowd began to thin out, only the true nutters with enough stamina (or class As) remained, skanking away well into the wee hours of the morning.

The return to the famous arches under Piccadilly certainly did not disappoint. The smaller crowd is a welcome change from the battery farm packed Victoria Warehouse, and this week the WHP team certainly provided a satisfyingly wild evening leaving you needing a week of sleep and a cuddle from your mum.

Live at Leeds in the Park preview: Ringing in the north’s festival season

Live at Leeds returns once again for 2024 – find out all you need to know here!

Adrianne Lenker live in Manchester: Beauty in simplicity from a generational talent

Big Thief frontperson Adrianne Lenker brought her solo show to Castlefield’s Aviva Studios, gifting the audience simple snippets of grace and serenity

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility