joe-evans

Album: Annie Lennox – Nostalgia

Annie Lennox’s latest offering is mainly worse, less gripping retellings of great songs

October 27th 2014

Island Records

5/10

Pioneer of the new wave scene, Annie Lennox could perhaps be forgiven for wanting to produce something a little less experimental. Her latest offering, Nostalgia, is just that. Lennox certainly takes on the early soul and jazz of the Great American Songbook with style, but ends up producing something that will make a great stocking filler for your Mum.

At its best the album is strong, breathing life into songs often covered but rarely covered well. ‘Memphis in June’, the album’s first track, immediately exhibits the power of Lennox’s vocal range and ability. Evidencing soul unlike anything she has released before, the vocal soars over an innovative arrangement.

The same can be said of the reinvention of ‘Georgia On My Mind’. The arrangement again evokes the songs emotive power while the voice is powerful and dramatic. ‘I Put a Spell on You’ lacks the grit of either Nina Simone or Screamin’ Jay Hawkins, but again is perfect for your Mum. Easy on the ears, yes, but impressive nonetheless.

‘Summertime’ is one of the more interesting songs on the album; subverting expectation of the Gershwin classic, the song is stripped right back to the bare bones, Lennox accompanied by a piano and not much more. It’s a nice twist on a widely performed piece of music, one that I didn’t see coming and that is a welcome surprise.

The main criticism of the album is that, in places, it seriously lacks authenticity. Perhaps it is an unfair critique of the Scottish singer to suggest that her interpretation lacks the soul of Billie Holiday, but listen to ‘Strange Fruit’ and I’m sure you’ll agree. Likewise the life is somewhat sucked out of ‘I Cover the Waterfront’, a song brilliantly covered elsewhere by Van Morrison.

I’ve no doubt that issues regarding authenticity will be passed off with the argument that ‘it’s just a different interpretation’. This is fine, however it is undermined by the problem it is simply a worse, less gripping retelling of great songs. The impression I was left with from Nostalgia was one of wishing I had listened to the songs in their original format, rather than on yet another Great American Songbook album.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark