henry-scanlan

Live: Lola Colt

Lola Colt’s swaggering, gunslinging sound is more than a one-trick pony
Live: Lola Colt

25th October

Soup Kitchen

8/10

With a name derived from an old spaghetti-western movie, a swaggering, gunslinging sound, and the general aura of a band of surly outlaws/Sergio Leone fans, Lola Colt must have come to expect a barrage of puns and gimmicky genre conventions from anyone coming to review their show. I’ve read four different reviews in which their tambourine is compared to a rattlesnake. The fact that the lead singer literally has the first name ‘Gun’ doesn’t help. But today, this reviewer refuses. Lola Colt are more than a gimmick. More than a one-trick pony riding into town from the Arizona desert.

The cliché-dodging approach in this case is an act of good will: it must be a minor annoyance to Lola Colt when their spaghetti-western-noir-pop stylings steal attention away from the brilliance of their music. Bloody annoying. Here’s to focusing on the music. You’re welcome, guys.

Most writers just wedge a few band names into their reviews as comparison, content that it amounts to a critique. It doesn’t. Others incessantly sort bands into little categories: “it’s n + x + y with a bit of z for good measure.” That’s bullshit too. This review is all about the music. Lola Colt’s music. Lola Colt from East London. Gun is pretty intense. She looks crazy when her mascara starts to run down her face halfway through a show. She’s equal parts Patti Smith, Polly Harvey, Siouxsie Sioux, Karen O, Chrissie Hynde, Anna Calvi and Grace Slick. As you can imagine, there was quite a lot of sexual energy in the room. I know I wasn’t alone in wanting to rip my shirt off. A guy at the front took the plunge and just went ahead and did it. What a hero.

But back to the music. The music… was… good. Very very good. Definitely go and look them up.

Henry Scanlan

Henry Scanlan

Head Music Editor and third-year student of History.

Live Review: Lea Salonga at Bridgewater Hall

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Lea Salonga’s Dream Again Tour at the Bridgewater Hall
Live Review: Peaches brings her Teaches to Manchester

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor reviews Peaches’ stop at the O2 Ritz on her Teaches of Peaches 20th anniversary tour.
Live Review: Horsegirl at YES Manchester

Kevin Thomas reviews Horsegirl’s enthralling show at YES Manchester
Saint Etienne Live Review: Back with a splash

Izzy Langhamer reviews the latest ‘Saint Etienne’ gig, which saw them perform latest releases from ‘I’ve Been Trying To Tell You’, as well as fan favourites and 90s hits