patrick-hinton

Club: Selective Hearing x Project 13 presents Livity Sound & Tessela

Techno takes prominence

8th May

Warehouse Location

7.5/10

Secret warehouse locations are very much on-trend for Manchester promoters currently. The recent spate may come across as slightly gimmicky to some, but in an industrial city that isn’t blessed with a large number of good mid-sized clubs, finding an unused warehouse space and whacking in a big sound system makes sense. Tonight’s space on the edge of New Islington fits the bill perfectly: it’s loud, intimate, and there’s even nice toilets.

Bristol based Livity Sound – consisting of Asusu, Kowton and Peverelist – are responsible for some of the most forward-thinking releases to hit clubs in recent years, and their club-focused approach shines through in their djing.

Techno takes prominence in their selections. Shed’s ‘Kinky Dudes’ sets the tone early on before Barnt’s irresistible ‘Chappell’ slams the room into submissive movement. Asusu delves into the label’s output, drawing for A Made Up Sound’s remix of ‘Velez’, whilst Kowton takes things slightly more left-field with an airing of S-X’s grime classic ‘Woo Riddim’. The trio rotate around the decks, maintaining a high intensity throughout the three hours. This is upped considerably by the powerful strobe that is unleashed to striking effect, blinding everybody behind a disorientating wall of bright light.

Fellow west-country native Tessela then takes over for the final two hours, immediately making his presence known with the pummelling ‘Gateway’. The bar is set, and then raised with high energy tracks such as Kevin Saunderson’s ‘Warp’. Not even a brief power cut can rein in Tessela’s momentum; sound is quickly restored and he continues unabated until close.

Bleachers live in Manchester: Fan-centric show from the studio to the stage

The Jack Antonoff-fronted six-piece, Bleachers, break the fourth wall at their Manchester O2 Ritz show equipped with theatric production but packed with earnest, artist to audience interactions

The Pleasure Dome present ‘Liminal Space’: A surprisingly varied punk rock powerhouse

Bristolian rockers The Pleasure Dome return with their newest EP ‘Liminal Space’ to demonstrate their musical versatility

bar italia live in Manchester: An embrace from ‘Tracey Denim’ and ‘The Twits’

bar italia gets the crowd ‘punkt’ with a fruitful return at Manchester’s Band on the Wall, sustaining their reputability after two successful albums

Big Foot’s EP ‘Smir’: Is the Activities and Culture Officer’s music any good?

Robbie Beale was elected because of his work with GABS. But how good is his band’s music?