alyssa-vongapai
3rd July 2015

Club: High Hoops presents 10 Hour Day Party with Marcellus Pittman and Wbeeza

High Hoops couple bookings and location to great effect

27th June

Islington Mill

7/10

Marcellus Pittman is a member of the great super group Three Chairs, and while his profile may not be as flamboyant as that of Theo Parrish or Moodymann, there is no doubt that the Detroit house producer is a legend. Pittman was first noticed on Theo Parrish’s Sound Signature label in 1991, and since then he has released on FXHE, Unirythm and Track Mode.

Young South London producer Wbeeza warmed up the crowed with an original live house set, using his own productions and samples, therefore rendering the Shazam of the guy next to me useless. Manchester’s own Means&3rd  was up next, and he injected some energy into the room with Galaxy 2 Galaxy’s groovy ‘Transition’.

Finally at 10pm, Pittman showered the crowed with his signature Detroit house, building up the intensity track after track. The crowd definitely loved it, cheering with even more euphoria when he started pumping some techno like G-man’s ‘Quo Vadis’. He ended his set with a big humble smile to the audience whilst holding the last record he played to wave goodbye. Asking him what that last banger he played was revealed it to be Issac Christopher’s ‘The Good Old Days (Kerri Chandler Remix)’.

Not only did High Hoops bring Pittman but they utilised Islington Mill for a fun party with face paints, beanbags in the chill out room, curry, and even vegan hotdogs in the garden – making it an idyllic Saturday.  The High Hoops guys definitely know how to throw a party and make killer bookings.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark