will-brown

Manchester and Oxford top world leaders chart in UK

A new report shows that one of the University of Manchester’s key exports is world leaders

According to a recent report published by the Times Higher Education, the University of Manchester and the University of Oxford export the highest number of world leaders out of British universities.

While Oxford’s place on the ranking list is fairly predictable, Manchester’s position may raise some eyebrows. However, unlike many UK universities, the University of Manchester boasts a highly international student body, with over a third of its current students hailing from overseas.

According to the Higher Education Policy Institute, eight current prime ministers and presidents once attended the University of Manchester; while Oxford produced a total of nine current global leaders and five monarchs.

Those who studied at Manchester include the president of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins; Iraq’s Prime Minister, Haider Al-Abadi; and Iceland’s president Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson. The Times High Education reports that Manchester also boasts alumni serving as elected leaders in Mozambique, Somaliland, two Caribbean countries and Palestine.

Cambridge only scores a total of three current world leaders, with the University of Bristol and the London School of Economics also only scoring three world leaders each.

In total, some 55 world leaders from 51 countries are reported to have studied in the UK.

The news comes as the University of Manchester undergoes a £1 billion redevelopment project over the next ten years to break its way into the world’s top 25 universities.

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies

Students’ Union addresses new Freedom of Speech Act

The government’s new Higher Education (Freedom of Speech) Act will come into force from 1 August 2024 and aims to be a provision for freedom of speech and academic freedom across universities and Students’ Unions

Protestors converge on University Green

Protests converge at the University Green, where Students Against Tyranny met with counter-protests from groups including Manchester Leftist Action and the Socialist Worker Student Society