• The Student Nucleus: Get involved in the centre of student life

emily-hughes

The Student Nucleus: Get involved in the centre of student life

A website set up by Manchester students has everything you need for a successful year at university

Two Manchester students have created a website that’s determined to help make student life as simple as possible.

Award-winning website thestudentnucleus.com is a hub of information that brings together everything a student might need onto one online platform. It covers accommodation, books, internships, scholarships & funding and skills profiles. The website is completely free to use.

The initial idea for their successful website came after co-founder Martin Hedley finished his first year at the Manchester Business School and was looking for a place to sell his old textbooks. “I realised that an online marketplace would be a much more efficient way for students to buy and sell their textbooks rather than the typical inaccessible Facebook posts or random flyers around campus. This initial idea then grew into creating a single platform containing information central to all student’s lives.”

Since the website’s creation, hundreds of University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University students have already starting using the site to buy and sell their books online. Their website also recently won a Spark award from UnLtd, the charity for social entrepreneurs. The funding from this will allow the founders to run workshops at universities across the UK to encourage further student involvement in social enterprises and student entrepreneurship.

Hedley said: “We are passionate about making it easy and simple for students to find all the funding available to them. We know from personal experience it can be very confusing.

“The student community is a rich talent pool, we help bring that talent together.”

Queen’s Funeral Halts Monday’s Freshers Fair

Monday’s Fresher’s event was cancelled due to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral, angering some students and forcing events to be rescheduled.
Jeremy Corbyn speaks to students at the Right to Clothing Campaign launch

Jeremy Corbyn announces the Right to Clothing Campaign at The University of Manchester, in a bid to make clothing more sustainable and affordable.
Queen Elizabeth II obituary

Queen Elizabeth II obituary

Queen Elizabeth II opened the University of Manchester in 2004. Following her death, we look back at her life and impact on the city of Manchester
UoM PHD student faces backlash over research paper on masturbating to comics of young boys

A PHD student at the University of Manchester has recently come under fire and faced a severe online backlash after a research paper he wrote about masturbating to erotic comics of young boys went viral.