sarah-kilcourse
21st October 2015

The big costume debate: sexy VS scary

When choosing your Hallowe’en costume, what do you go for? Sultry and sexy, or spine-tingling and scary?

With Hallowe’en just around the corner, it’s time to start picking out your costume. Generally, there are two categories for female costume: sexy or scary. By scary, what I really mean is ‘funny’, and by sexy what I really mean is ‘naked’.

Take Cady Heron’s famous ‘ex-wife’ in Mean Girls. It’s definitely not scary, but it is amusing—mainly because she’s the only one who’s not naked. Don’t worry, I’m not here to write a judgemental article telling you off for choosing to wear more or less clothes than you normally would; all I ask is that you do try to wear some form of costume. Fancy dress is just good fun, and university is one of the best opportunities to let loose and dress like an absolute loon.

If you’re going to go down the sexy route, the high street has an array of options available on the cheap: cat, devil, and skeleton; all of these are popular Hallowe’en costumes that you can still look hot in. Or, if you already have worthy but un-stereotypical Hallowe’en attire, get some fake blood and scary contact lenses and you’ll be good to go.

The scary route is also wonderfully cheap; the main benefits, in my opinion, are the extra warmth and comfort.

However, according to my flatmate, you can achieve funny and sexy very easily—the pumpkin. You can get your legs out, but be comfortable and comical in a big round pumpkin suit! The choice is up to you, but I know what I would do…

“Why are you dressed so scary!?” “It’s Hallowe’en…”
Photo: Paramount Pictures

Frosty elf chic: From the runway to TikTok, this seasons Winter trends

Winter trends are back with a boom and this year has seen a real change-up in Winter uniform, taking inspiration from several time periods, weather, and designer favourites from the runway
Beauty advent calendars: The best of this year

Whether you are a makeup head, skincare junkie or self-care queen, have fun counting down to Christmas with these advent calendars. Here are The  Mancuion’s beauty team suggestions
Primark goes online – RIP sustainable fashion

Primark has announced they’re moving online. But why? Is this really necessary for an already successful company?
Extreme beauty procedures: The Botox craze

We look into rising botox trends that move beyond the face into the strangest places imaginable, like feet and bladders! Read about the doctors who perform these treatments and the reasons people are getting.