rossy-natale

Genetically modified mosquitoes may eradicate malaria NOT FOR ONLINE

Scientists have engineered a new strain of mosquito that contains malaria resistant genes.

Researchers at the University of California Irvine and San Diego campus have finished  engineering a new strain of malaria resistant mosquitoes.

A new type of genetic engineering, involving cutting out segments of mosquito DNA and replacing them with malaria resistant genes, has been used to generate the mosquitoes.

A technique called ‘gene driving’ has also been used. This involves inserting the resistance gene in not one, but both of the mosquito chromosomes. This ensures that the malaria resistance is passed on to all of their offspring.

Gene driving is incredibly efficient; the researchers believe  that malarial resistance has the potential to spread throughout the world in as little time as one summer.

Since the implications of releasing genetically modified animals in the wild are up in the air, the mosquitoes are being kept in a lab while their release is debated.

Universally Manchester festival: details released for the bicentenary celebrations

The bicentenary festival is set to run from June 6 to 9 with 150+ events across campus

Students’ Union will not adopt a BDS policy despite vote in favour

The motion, voted for by students in December 2023, passed with 89.6% of students voting in favour and would have resulted in the Students’ Union adopting BDS policy

Pro-Palestine protest escalates as police forcibly remove protestors

The ongoing Pro-Palestine protest against the University heats up as Police are called in to move protestors, while the SU attempts to mediate the dispute