sarah-kilcourse

Fashion in your favourite festive films

Sarah Kilcourse gives us a run down of the best cinematic Christmas fashion

Every year magazines and websites are eager to advise us on the best way to dress for the upcoming holiday season. However, holiday dressing never varies too greatly, as exemplified in some of our most beloved Christmas films.

Lets start with Love Actually, a film with just enough Christmas to be able to watch in June without feeling guilty. Keira Knightley wears some fabulously noughties outfits, as always. Her wedding hairstyle is a great example of her elegance—with two strands of hair framing face, but it still does not distract from the beauty of her lace dress. Perfection. The crop tops for parties and the cosy sweaters when she’s lounging are failsafe Christmas outfits. Keira, we salute your winter style.

White Christmas gave us more than the eponymous Christmas song; it also gave us the stereotypical Father Christmas outfits. The entire film is a fantastically fifties extravaganza, but the styling is impeccable. The nipped-in waists, the off-the-shoulder dresses, and the waved hair remind viewers that if there is any time of year to do full on glam, it’s Christmas.

Another fabulous reminder of the importance of hair and beauty during the festive season is The Grinch. Back before Taylor Momsen was strutting about in a corset and fishnets, she was melting our hearts as little Cindy Lou—she had a great hairdresser. Admittedly, it can be said that her hair was a tad avant-garde, but if you’re going to commit to a look, which Cindy Lou and all the inhabitants of Whoville do, it’s important to remember that hair and beauty finish off the style.

There are so many other great festive outfits commemorated in film; Buddy’s green and yellow Elf outfit, Kevin McCallister’s love of the sweatshirt through three Home Alone movies, and best of all the classic dress worn in It’s A Wonderful Life—my favourite Christmas film by far. So this festive season if you can’t decide what to wear, sit down, watch a Christmas film, and perhaps it could inspire your dream outfit. Or just cuddle up and watch them all!

Extreme beauty procedures: The Botox craze

We look into rising botox trends that move beyond the face into the strangest places imaginable, like feet and bladders! Read about the doctors who perform these treatments and the reasons people are getting.
The strange collaborations the fashion world didn’t need

Collaborations can be creative, political, or often both at the same time. But they are also a stamp of exclusivity for those who can afford them. We take a look at some of the weirdest collaborations that have been released recently, and consider if they really need to have happened
Exclusive interview: GIO-GOI x Umbro on Rihanna, rock ‘n’ roll and international recognition

GIO-GOI x Umbro has just released its latest collaborative line. We caught up with GIO-GIO co-founder Anthony Donnelly about everything GIO-GOI and what’s to come next
Dries Van Noten collaborates with Stüssy

After what seemed like the most epic streetwear collab this year between Gucci and Palace, now it’s Dries Van Noten and Stüssy in the spotlight with their newest collection