yasmin-mannan

Upcoming: An evening with Gloria Steinem

Manchester Literature Festival will be hosting an evening with the feminist author Gloria Steinmen

Glora Steinem, hailed as one of the leaders and major spokeswomen of the 1960s and 1970s Second Wave feminist movement—an acclaimed writer, editor, journalist, and activist—is coming to Manchester for her first visit to the UK in 20 years.

On the evening of Tuesday 23 February, Gloria Steinem will be in conversation with The Observer critic and author Rachel Cooke, hosted by Manchester Literature Festival in Waterstones Manchester. Steinem is the co-founder of the American ‘liberal feminist’ magazines and has devoted her life to discussing, writing, and campaigning for women’s rights and equality. She has also organised social movements across the United States and campaigned with Hillary Clinton and Bobby Kennedy. Some of her best-selling books include Revolution From Within, Moving Beyond Words, and Everyday Rebellions.

A representative from Manchester Literature Festival stated glowingly that Steinem’s new memoir, My Life on the Road, “beautifully documents her childhood, her relationship with her nomadic father, her own wanderlust, and her travels across the United States and India.” It also “crucially focuses on the individuals and communities she encountered on her travels and the profound impact they have had on her life and work.” bell hooks [sic] praises the book My Life on the Road as “as an inspiring work, a call for action” as well as an essential reading for anyone interested in feminism and social change.

Tuesday 23 February 7.00pm
Waterstones Deansgate
91 Deansgate,
Manchester,
M3 2BW
Tickets £10 / £8 concessions & Waterstones card holders
Book on 0843 208 0500

The problem with publishing

We often view publishing as a way to make our voices heard on a public scale, but what if it is these same industries creating silence, too?

Spotify vs Audible: The battle for audiobook dominance

With streaming giant Spotify making its first steps into the world of audiobooks, could your next Spotify wrapped be dominated by Sally Rooney and Dolly Alderton rather than Taylor Swift?

Why I don’t regret buying a Kindle

Don’t knock it ’til you try it. We breakdown the controversial argument on why Kindles might not be the worst idea after all

Boy Swallows Universe: Does reality make the best fiction?

How many of your favourite songs or stories are based in truth? We look at Trent Dalton’s novel, ‘Boy Swallows Universe’, to see how fiction and reality are intertwined in the arts