brogen-campbell

The Bruntwood Prize for Playwriting

The Bruntwood Prize for Playwriting is open for submissions

Are you an up and coming playwright? Do you have what it takes to write the next great play? Have you already written it? If so, The Bruntwood Prize for Playwriting is open for 2017 entries.  It is the UK’s biggest national competition for playwriting. They are on the search for the next great play and the great playwright who created it.

Europe’s largest playwriting competition is the product of a partnership between the Royal Exchange Manchester and property company Bruntwood. New and unperformed plays can be submitted and judged by a panel of experts. Four winners will then be picked and will win a part of the £40,000 prize fund.

Since the competition began in 2005 there has been 15 prize winning writers and 8 winning productions have been staged.  Each winner this year will eneter into a development process with the Royal Exchange Theatre. The winning scripts will be announced at an award ceremony in Manchester this November.

Katherine Soper became the fifth overall winner of the Bruntwood Prize for Playwriting in 2015. Her play ‘Wish List’ was premiered at the Royal Exchange Theatre and has since been transferred to the Royal Court Upstairs. You can find a review of Wish List on The Mancunion website.

For any emerging talent this competition is not to be missed. The competition is open to anyone over the age of 16 and resides in the British Isles. All you need is a finished play that has never been performed and the courage and self-confidence to submit your work. All scripts are judged anonymously and the final 10 are judged by an expert judging panel.

To enter you simply need to go to The Bruntwood Prize website and apply there. The process is quick and easy. Submission closes on the 6th June 2017 at 6pm. So there is still time to finish that play or perfect it further. To apply click here.

Imitating the Dog’s Frankenstein review: A literally electric reimagination

Imitating the Dog creates a physical and electric reimagination of Shelley’s story, filling any pockets of confusion with drama and tension