yasmin-duggal

Interview: Zara Larsson

Zara Larsson talks Beyonce, feminism and pop with Deputy Music Editor, Yasmin Duggal

With a top 10 UK album under her belt and a 2017 to rival any pop star, Zara Larsson is taking the world by storm, aged 19, and is not afraid to tell you so. Bold, honest, and gracious, she spoke to The Mancunion about her rise to fame and future plans for the Swedish star.

Your album So Good was a top 10 UK hit and a massive success. How did you manage that sudden success and fame?

It hasn’t really affected my life in the way that most people think it did. I still live my life and do all the things I’ve been doing for years even before I released my album and started touring, so my life is very normal. Sweden doesn’t have the same mentality I guess. We don’t really have paparazzi, so it’s very calm.

Do you find it hard at this age to figure out who you are or what direction you’re heading in?

Yeah absolutely. I am still going through all those stages of asking what my sound is, what I wanna do. I’ve been going through this phase of “would Beyonce do this?”, “no, Beyonce would not do this.” I think I came to the conclusion that I love Beyonce but I don’t care what she would do because Beyonce is not gonna sing this song — I’m gonna sing this song. I’ve got to stop comparing myself to other artists. People always put women up against each other on Twitter so it’s not all my fault I compare myself. I know some stuff… for me, feminism is very important and I will never change my mind about that.

You’re a vocal feminist and you started out quite young. Have you faced any challenges being a woman in the industry?

I’ve been very young, and now I’m reaching 20 it feels really good as people are listening to what I’m saying. I’ve been really lucky when it comes to the people I work with. They respect my voice, my opinion on things, my songs, who I want to work with, and that’s crucial. You’ve got to surround yourself with people who respect you and aren’t going to walk all over you. I know so many girls that can’t even pick songs for their album because an old man is doing it for them, and that’s sad.

How important do you think it is for music to have a political impact or message?

I don’t think every pop song needs to be deep and have a J. Cole message, even though it’s great when people bring it into their music. That’s why I love Beyonce, as she’s one of those artists that brings important topics into her art, but I wouldn’t say I do it. I’m quite political and outspoken in free time and on Twitter, but my songs are pop. I sing about having a lush life, and it’s OK for people to listen to songs that are only for the turn-up. These songs are about bringing people together, making people feel good, and for some people, these songs are a little ray of hope.

What’s next for you after this European tour in October / November?

After this tour, I’m going back to LA to write some more songs for the album and I will hopefully do another tour early 2018 or spring. I love to tour, and that’s why I’m in the studio writing songs, so I can sing them on stage.

What do you do to relax?

I spend time with friends and family, and if I’m on the road I lie in bed watching movies. I really take advantage of my time off.

What are you currently listening to?

I’m listening to a lot to playlists. As an artist, I f*****g hate Spotify it but as a person I love it. I listen to a lot of hip hop and trap. I’m one of those people who has three songs on repeat for two weeks, then I will never listen to these songs again [laughs].

Zara Larsson will be performing at the O2 Apollo on Saturday 21st October.