amy-nguyen

The PVC Renaissance

Amy Nguyen discusses the recent resurgence of the much-maligned material

Let’s talk PVC. Plastic Polyvinyl Chloride.

Traditionally associated with goth, punk, and fetishism, marked as the perfect go-to dominatrix uniform, this glossy patent material is experiencing somewhat of a renaissance.

Our favourite mean girl Cady Heron once said, “in girl world, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.” For many of us, adhering to this advice and grabbing your nearest pair of PVC pants may be a once-a-year Halloween-Cat-Woman-manoeuvre.

Within the last year, the PVC trend has received substantial coverage and has returned in full force on the runway, the high street, and has been worn by the biggest names in the business. This high shine slick material, usually reserved for costumes and dress up, has been given a big nod of approval in recent months from designers across the globe.

Vinyl Raincoats have featured on this season’s runways by Vetements, Topshop, Burberry, and Adidas. The sheen of the material adds not only a waterproof function but a sleek futuristic take on this key winter piece. Various levels of transparency of the material can also be seen to create an extra dimension and additional layer to a previously simple ensemble.

This September, Olivier Rousteing, Creative Director of French powerhouse Balmain, adorned the beauties during Paris Fashion Week in an eclectic collection of PVC. This SS18 preview saw jumpsuits, tailored trousers, and skirts, all comprised of the normally infamous PVC, adapted into a variety of chic and sexy silhouettes.

On the high street and at the more affordable end of the spectrum, purchasing a plethora of patent is made easy with retailers such as Topshop, Missguided and H & M incorporating this into their current Autumn and Winter collections. Former Made in Chelsea star turned designer Millie Mackintosh, has placed the PVC stamp on her latest range with the gorgeous Fyfield trouser available to purchase on ASOS.

My recommended style tip would be to pair these shiny new threads with a pastel toned fluffy knit to even out the overall temptress level of your outfit.

Photo Credit: Millie Mackintosh @ Instagram

Often hard to defend outside of the Halloween season, designers and retailers have pushed PVC to the forefront of their leather agenda in many guises and creations in recent months. So Halloween and spooky season related or not, I dare you.

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?