hannah-brierley
1st December 2017

Interview: The Moods

The Moods are finishing up their huge UK Tour, and are coming back for a massive end of tour party

The Moods are a band with many many talents, and seem to be soaring at an exponential rate. The band are coming to the end of their incredible 15 date UK tour and are heading home, in true Mancunian style for a massive end of tour party at the Bread Shed on the 2nd December.

The Moods have had a fantastic year; two UK tours, 10 cities, 12 venues,  played to over 20,000 people, selling out venues in Glasgow, London and Manchester. They’ve also released a critically acclaimed album Missing Peace, which sold out in HMV stores within hours. They are probably the hottest dance, Hip Hop, Reggae music band in the North West right now.  As a live act, they have received a massive response and wowed two sell-out nights at London’s ICL college as part of their freshers week, where they were noted as ‘Best Live Act’ by the student sound crew organisers.

Photo: Hannah Brierley

You have just finished your second UK tour — are there any gigs, venue or cities that have stood out for you?

The response in every city we visited was extraordinary, after playing party in the pines Scunthorpe. And being asked back to play Cafe Independent n this tour, it seemed like the word was out about. The buzz we have been creating, and everybody in town turned up. Also Zanzibar Liverpool, for us Mancunians to get such a welcome from a full house was mint, we just ended with Edinburgh and Glasgow. And our northern friends know how to party, and the hospitality is second to none

How did the album release go, can you share with us some of the highlights of that experience?

Releasing the album was a massive thing for us all, we spent over a year writing and recording it at our own studio, Boomshack, it was definitely a labour of love, with the help of our partners at A1M records and our Distributor The Republic of Music we were able to place the album into all these major record shops such as HMV, FOPP, Piccadilly Records, on vinyl and CD. We had a record signing in FOPP records Manchester. And we managed to fill the place! We played a small set, and to see young kids with their parents at the front singing our songs was something magical. The love and support we have seen from our fans, old and new have been tremendous, plus the various media outlets that have championed the moods music, it means a lot to us.

You’re heading home to Manchester at the Bread Shed, what can we expect from this end of tour gig?

Just check out the line up we have in support, excited does not even come close. Our next gig is always our best gig, over the two tours this year, we have really gelled as a unit. And to be back home with all our friends and new fans, we are going to find a new energy to bring to the night and we expect the crowd to give us the same back, its a brilliant new venue, great stage and sound, we expect a full house and a party from seven P.M. ’till three A.M.

What has been the highlights of 2017 for the moods?

Making the collective bigger has been a revelation this year, with the inclusion of Alice & Will, our live performance has reached new levels.  Meeting Paul Travis @A1M records and seeing his passion for the band was also a massive game changer. The Ritz gig, the bands we met on tour, and of course missing peace, With the two tours we have probably played to nearly 20,000 people in all, it’s been a wonderful experience.

Can you share with us any plans for 2018?

We are currently writing our next album as we write this. So we expect to keep working hard. Definitely, new videos new tour, with discussion happening for spring UK and possibly a European set of dates, Festival appearances, a new single and two of our tunes will feature in a Major UK film soundtrack…we love being in the moods so bring on 2018 we can’t wait. #iamamood

Tickets to their gig at The Bread Shed are available here.