anokhi-shah
1st December 2017

Sunday roast at The Didsbury

I think I’ve found one of the best roast dinners in Manchester

The Mancunion Food and Drink team are still searching for the best roast dinner in Manchester. This week it was my turn to see what I could find. My boyfriend and I ventured out on a cold rainy to Sunday in search of some home cooked comfort food. After a heavy Saturday night, we knew that the only way to nurse the hangover was a roast dinner bathing in gravy.

We took a brisk walk to the Didsbury and worked up a huge appetite. Upon entering the pub rich aromas of mulled wine filled the air and the Christmas lights adorning the pub gave a wonderfully festive atmosphere. The Didsbury is the perfect winter pub – it has retained many of its 18th Century period features such as wooden beams, low ceilings and roaring open fires. The ideal surroundings to enjoy a hearty Sunday dinner.

With 7 options of roast to choose from and a brain that couldn’t quite focus making a choice was extremely difficult.

Roast topside of beef with horseradish £10.99

Roast pork loin with crackling, roasted red apple and sage and onion stuffing £9.99

Roast turkey breast with sage and onion stuffing and a pig-in-blanket £9.99

Trio of roasts – beef, turkey and pork loin £11.99

Roast nut wellington £8.99

Slow-cooked rib of beef £13.99

Slow cooked lamb shoulder with roasted red onion and fresh mint £14.99

All roast dinners are served with buttered seasonal veg, homemade Yorkshire pudding, goose fat roast potatoes and UNLIMITED gravy. Additionally, they have a list of wine recommendations to accompany each choice! I think it’s fair to say the Didsbury take their roast dinner game very seriously!

I ordered the slow cooked rib of beef and my boyfriend ordered the trio of roasts. We probably waited around half an hour for our meals to arrive but it was undoubtedly worth the wait.

The huge plate more like a platter was full to the brim and the food presented beautifully with a Yorkie the size of my head placed neatly on top. As a Yorkshire girl, I know my Yorkshire puds and this one is certainly up there as one of the best. Perfectly crisp but soft in the middle, it was a Yorkshire pudding of dreams.

As for the meat, the rib of beef was succulent and tender and literally fell off the bone. I am known to drown all my food in gravy so the sheer quantity of gravy available had me over the moon. Even the veg was incredible. As you have probably gauged this was one of the best roast dinners I have ever had — sorry mum. I really cannot fault it in any way.

Must restrain myself from going every week.

10/10

Cooking a week of TikTok recipes on a student budget

Cooking inspiration can be hard to come by as a busy student, which is why I tried out a week’s worth of TikTok recipes to see if exciting meals could be achieved on a student budget

TikTok and Teatox: Why social media is sucking the joy out of food

From ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos to fad diet trends, social media’s rampant championing of toxic diet culture needs to stop

Margarita Month at Zouk: All style, less substance

Zouk is offering a trio of Margaritas this February to celebrate Margarita Month; yet it seems like all the thought was put into presentation, and less into the drink itself

Flight Club: Margarita Month with a twist

We headed to Flight Club to try their special cocktails in honour of Margarita Month, from Mango Margs to Spicy Picantes