samhoney

Police arrest two men in connection to street party shooting

The pair are the first suspects in the attempted murder investigation, that launched last month

Greater Manchester Police have announced this morning that they have arrested two men in connection with the attempted shooting in Moss Side last month.

A street party on Claremont Road, linked to a nearby Caribbean Carnival, was targeted around 2:30 am on August 12, leaving 12 injured.

Police said it was lucky that there were no life-threatening injuries as a result of the shooting which they called “completely reckless”.

With no suspects identified at the scene, police say they have been “trawling through all available CCTV and Intelligence to try and piece together the events of that morning”.

Nearly a month on from the attack, officers from the major incident team and the force’s tactical aid unit made the arrests in Fallowfield and Baguley on Tuesday morning.

Two men, aged 24 and 30, were taken into custody on suspicion of attempted murder and unlawful possession of a fireman.

They are currently under investigation in relation to their involvement in the incident.

Despite the arrests, Detective Chief Inspector Colin Larkin has appealed for further evidence.

“I would still urge the community to come forward with any information as our investigation does not stop here. If you know anything, please tell us”.

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies