lolabyamshaw
1st October 2018

Shoe throwing and tantrums may be unprofessional, but I’m not sure I care

After Cardi B threw her shoe at a fashion party she faced much criticism for her lack of ‘chill’, Lola Byam Shaw argues this as well as the responses to Serena Williams’ arguments with an umpire reveal the sexism of the pressure on women to be easygoing.
Rapper and singer Cardi B. Photo:Tow @ Wikimedia Commons

Two recent celebrity incidents have gained significant scrutiny in the media. These were the highly charged outbursts of Cardi B and the less violent dispute involving Serena Williams. Cardi B’s shoe throwing at Nicki Minaj at a Harper’s Bazaar party during New York Fashion Week received several complaints. Her behaviour was condemned for setting a bad example for her younger fans, but I can’t help thinking that maybe the parents of these fans should consider an alternative icon for their children. Unsurprisingly, this indignation reared its head in her Instagram comments – a particularly pathologizing remark called her “crazy”. The most striking one however, said she was “uneducated so don’t let no kids make her there idle”. The sensational irony in the spelling of the last word needless to say is lifted straight from this person’s comment.

In all the negative comments the same vocabulary crops up again and again, words and phrases like “crazy”, “no chill”, and “zero chill”. The informal and formal reaction to Serena William’s ‘tantrum’ (as it was described by the press) received a similar response. The words ‘hysterical’, ‘ridiculous’, and ‘crazy’ were used to describe her. I’m secretly quite pleased that she threw that shoe even though many thought that Serena’s behaviour was unprofessional, and Cardi B’s was completely unacceptable.

The word ‘chill’ used as an adjective is probably my least favourite among all 21st century terms. Vogue journalist Martine Thompson’s article, ‘How I Learned to Stop being a Chill Girl and Start Being Authentic’ expressing her distaste for it as well. I recognise her anguish at the charade lots of women have felt they must present to the world. In work, relationships, and friendships we often aspire to possess a breezy, laissez-faire disposition. This is manifested in being ‘completely chilled’ with a non-exclusive relationship or being ‘so chilled’ with a friend’s disloyalty because you ‘don’t like confrontation’. It even exists in the beauty industry, with everyone chasing that ‘Glossier Girl no-make-up make up look’.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to hurl my Air Force 1 at the first person that crosses me. However, maybe something can be taken from Cardi B’s refusal to filter a single ounce of her anger and frustration. Obviously, jealousy and anger are not something anyone wants to flaunt, man or woman. Personally I feel I might have grown out of continuously hiding those emotions in order to seem cool and collected.

In her lyrics Cardi is also desensitising people and making them privy to the reality of female jealousy, anger and resentment. Her album Invasion of Privacy was a palpable and frenzied response by a woman to her disloyal boyfriend. Cardi is emotive, laying all her cards on the table and she doesn’t hide how hurt or incensed she is. Of course, it’s not just women who suffer from the creation of these tropes by society; the many male mental health awareness campaigns which have appeared recently have shed light on the notoriously damaging ‘boys-don’t-cry’ image which is just as problematic as that of the ‘chill girl’. Nonetheless, it’s time for the ‘chill girl’ to politely resign and walk away – she’s so chilled I’m sure she wouldn’t mind.

If Labour wants to regain trust, they must stick to their reformist roots

While heeding the lessons of Tory failure and chaos, Keir Starmer must grasp the reins of a chaos-driven Parliament and lead it through the ideals of progress and reform

Main Library Musings – Rant column #2

Edition #2 of the Opinion section’s rant column. Fuelled by sweaty palms and jabbing fingers on our keyboards, we lament three issues facing students: the library, buses, and supermarkets

My life has been failing the Bechdel test – and that’s a good thing

A lot of conversations with my friends recently have been about a guy, and this hasn’t proved to be a bad thing

We need to politicise mental health

A rising number of people in Britain are on antidepressants. Your risk of mental illness correlates with how young, how poor and how socially-disadvantaged you are. Why is this and what should we do about it?