jakeoliver

Hot Right Now: Isla Den

Jake Oliver reviews the Canadian synth-pop duo Isla Den, who released their debut EP Water Sounds back in April – bringing along a sense of tranquility
Hot Right Now: Isla Den
Photo: Isla Den, Indigo League

Hailing from Toronto, Canada, are Isla Den, comprised of Ellie Manning and Michael Reale. The synth-pop duo (who dropped their debut EP Water Sounds back in April) deliver a flawlessly produced ethereal experience across five beautiful tracks.

Water Sounds presents a perfect amalgamation of nostalgia and futuristic escapism. Throughout, the duo employ tropical synths, delicately soft pads and haunting vocals (courtesy of Manning) to create a flowing sense of tranquility and stillness. With a heavy lyrical focus on detaching from technology and our hectic modern existence, the post-modern soundscapes manage to form a delightful juxtaposition.

The track ‘We’re All Leaving’ serves as a mesmerising welcome to an almost underwater world. Using clever sampling and ambience, the notion of separating from society is easy to get invested in. It’s an aesthetic maintained elsewhere, particularly on ‘Indigo League’, where hi-hats, snares and lusciously distorted guitar strokes are layered to create to create a truly enveloping atmosphere.

Isla Den are an act I randomly stumbled on, but have quickly become a firm favourite of mine. Still somewhat in their infancy, there’s plenty of room for progression and development, and this in itself is an exciting prospect. Just don’t expect a tour any time soon.

Zara Larsson live in Manchester: Bringing ‘VENUS’ to Manchester’s Academy

Swedish pop sensation Zara Larsson returns to Manchester to headline the Academy after the release of her newest LP, ‘Venus’

The Last Dinner Party – Prelude to Ecstasy: A stellar debut from the UK’s most exciting new act

The Last Dinner Party cement their place as one of the most innovative up-and-coming bands in the UK, showcasing operatic vocals and evocative lyrics on their debut LP

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes live in Manchester: An ecstatic night of rock with the ‘Man of The Hour’

Frank Carter and The Rattlesnakes return to Manchester Academy after two years, bringing a night of moshpits and mayhem

Laufey live in Manchester: A Valentine’s night ‘bewitched’ by musical charm

Following her recent Grammy victory, Laufey takes the stage for a very special sold-out Valentine’s Day show at Manchester’s Albert Hall