jakeoliver

Hot Right Now: Isla Den

Jake Oliver reviews the Canadian synth-pop duo Isla Den, who released their debut EP Water Sounds back in April – bringing along a sense of tranquility
Hot Right Now: Isla Den
Photo: Isla Den, Indigo League

Hailing from Toronto, Canada, are Isla Den, comprised of Ellie Manning and Michael Reale. The synth-pop duo (who dropped their debut EP Water Sounds back in April) deliver a flawlessly produced ethereal experience across five beautiful tracks.

Water Sounds presents a perfect amalgamation of nostalgia and futuristic escapism. Throughout, the duo employ tropical synths, delicately soft pads and haunting vocals (courtesy of Manning) to create a flowing sense of tranquility and stillness. With a heavy lyrical focus on detaching from technology and our hectic modern existence, the post-modern soundscapes manage to form a delightful juxtaposition.

The track ‘We’re All Leaving’ serves as a mesmerising welcome to an almost underwater world. Using clever sampling and ambience, the notion of separating from society is easy to get invested in. It’s an aesthetic maintained elsewhere, particularly on ‘Indigo League’, where hi-hats, snares and lusciously distorted guitar strokes are layered to create to create a truly enveloping atmosphere.

Isla Den are an act I randomly stumbled on, but have quickly become a firm favourite of mine. Still somewhat in their infancy, there’s plenty of room for progression and development, and this in itself is an exciting prospect. Just don’t expect a tour any time soon.

Party Like Gatsby will see the O2 Ritz turned into a 1920s speakeasy

Party Like Gatsby returns to O2 Ritz after three long years with Soirée Royale – its biggest party yet!

Album review: Maja Lena pushes her musical boundaries on PLUTO

Maja Lena’s winning combination of folk drawing on electronic elements transports us to an imagined planet

Mogwai: “I feel our music, to the music world, is like a Louis Theroux documentary”

The Mancunion talk to Mogwai’s Barry Burns about the band’s 25 year career, spanning powerful live shows and soaring film scores

Pop for a Dying Planet: CMAT shares new single Mayday

A deep dive into the latest track, ‘Mayday’, from Irish singer-songwriter and rising star CMAT