louishaddad
1st November 2018

Artefact of the Week: The Heaton Park Colonnade

In this week’s edition of Artefact of the Week, Louis Haddad uncovers the history of Heaton Park Colonnade, a decaying reminder of Manchester’s ever-changing cityscape
Photo: Steven Haslington @ Geograph, Creative Commons

On the off-chance you manage to escape the Oxford Road bubble, swapping the linear path of the Magic Bus for the effortlessly winding Metrolink tram, there is an enchanted stretch of nature that calls from far across the metropolis.

Most only know it during its chaotic incarnation as “the place where Parklife’s at,” yet this betrays what is otherwise an oasis of tranquillity. Cleaner air and greener pastures await the exploring student in Heaton Park, whisking them far from the monotony of their daily concrete reality.

Turning a corner, next to a lake, a grand, neoclassical façade stands in the park. Far from the polished buildings of the city centre, this monument to the past is like a ruin. It’s an abstract thing, something that you can’t really imagine really exists when you read up on its history. Something a bit magic, like Stonehenge.

The Colonnade dates back to 1822, when Francis Goodwin designed it as the façade of the Old Town Hall on King Street. As we see all around us, gargantuan  structures of every type of brick and stone were erected around the city centre, showcasing the growing population, prestige and prosperity of the 19th Century ‘Cottonopolis‘. Soon, the Old Town Hall fell into obsolescence and Waterhouse’s 1877 Gothic town hall replaced it, embodying a city of a new order.

Town Halls are the grand civic sculptures that tell the stories of our cities; the story of the Colonnade is something of a story of the 19th Century in Manchester. After the public campaign to prevent the demolision of the Old Town Hall was successful, each of its elements, from the sandstone volutes of its ionic columns to its largest slabs of stone, were carried north toward Heaton Park.

In 1912, its stones were carefully reassembled in its current place, in a realm far detached from its previous setting of thick smog, punctuated by the sound of horses’ hooves and pressing civic matters.

The Colonnade is currently bordered by a modern and generic black metal fence, which can be seen as the 21st Century’s mark on this structure. Members of the local community have said the decaying structure has been left to rot, while the council claims it is exploring ways to fund the restoration of the dangerous old façade. Maybe one day we will breathe a new life into this once magnificent structure, and the shroud of the black perimeter fence will be lifted for good.

Review: Manchester Revue’s Lonely Hearts Sketch Club (Edinburgh Fringe Festival)

Manchester Revue’s Lonely Hearts Sketch Club is a hilarious and spirited sketch comedy show performed by an exceptionally talented cast that will leave you in fits of laughter

Review: R.O.S.E – Sharon Eyal, Gai Behar and Young with Ben UFO

A collaboration between Israeli creatives and British musicians, R.O.S.E is a unique immersive experience that celebrates club culture

Review: Benji Reid’s – Find Your Eyes

Benji Reid combines photography and choreography in a thrilling, chilling and unique piece of artistic theatre at Manchester’s International Festival 2023

“Most of all, I’m an observer” – The career of Richard Kelly in his own words

The Mancunion interviews Richard Kelly about his time as the Arctic Monkeys’ personal photographer, his career over the years and the purpose of his latest exhibition.