• Manchester Academy gig stopped early by suspected stabbing

ethan-davies

Manchester Academy gig stopped early by suspected stabbing

The alleged victims were taken to hospital, but did not have life-threatening injuries, according to GMP
Academy 1, music venue at the Manchester Students Union. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

A Popcaan gig at Manchester Academy has been cut short due to a suspected stabbing.

Police were called to the Students’ Union-owned venue just before 10.30pm on Friday evening, with two men reportedly being taken to hospital but not suffering life-threatening injuries.

Subsequently, the Students’ Union (SU) building was placed on lockdown.

In a statement, Greater Manchester Police said: “Shortly before 10.30pm on Friday 7th December police were called to Oxford Road to reports that two men had been stabbed inside a music venue.

“Both went to hospital but neither suffered serious or life-threatening injuries. Enquiries are ongoing and no arrests have been made so far.”

Users on Twitter reported that the Jamaican artist was only four songs in to his set before he was ushered back stage.

In a statement, a spokesperson for Manchester Academy Venues said:  “Manchester Academy can confirm a criminal incident took place at one of its venues last night (5/12/18).

“The incident was dealt with swiftly by The Academy’s team and its partner staff with the safety of gig goers and staff prioritised throughout.

“The emergency response for those directly involved was immediate and we understand both victims have been released from hospital. 

“Due to the nature of the incident and it being subject to police enquiries, we are unable to comment further. Greater Manchester Police can also be contacted in relation to this specific event.

“We can confirm all of the Academy venues are operating as usual this evening and going forward. We would like to thank all of our visitors for their understanding and reassure them that their safety is always paramount when attending any of our events.” 

How to claim the University of Manchester’s cost-of-living payment

All full-time students at the University of Manchester are eligible for £170 payments for the cost-of-living crisis, here’s how you can claim yours…
University Watch November: What’s going on around the UK?

A round-up of some of the big news from other Universities in the UK this November
Series of ‘teach-outs’ kick off first two days of UCU strikes

The first two days of UCU strikes saw teach-outs on topics including freedom in Iran, industrial action, and alternatives to capitalism
“Come and join us” says Jo Grady at UCU strikes

The General Secretary of the UCU spoke to picketers on the first day of strike action