gurnaikjohal
21st February 2019

Manchester’s Comma Press launches new podcast

Manchester-based publisher, Comma Press, launches a brand new podcast
Photo: Comma Press

Manchester-based independent publisher, Comma Press, has just launched a brand new podcast, creating a new space for readers to further engage with their work.

The first series of the podcast focuses on the best-selling short story anthology Protest: Stories of Resistance, which features writers like Kit de Waal, Alexei Style and David Constantine.

The collection offers a wide range of content and styles and this breadth will be reflected in the podcast’s diverse and interdisciplinary set of guests. From scientists and philosophers to historical consultants and the authors themselves, the podcast will be a space to discuss the writer’s influences, and the themes of contexts of each of the stories.

The first episode focuses on LGBTQ rights and is released on the anniversary of the Section 28 march in Manchester. In it, Em Temple-Malt, Louise Wallwein and Juliet Jacques, author of Trans: A Memoir, discuss gay culture in Manchester.

With long episodes and in-depth discussions, the podcast brings out another side to each story and is a welcome addition to a growing number of podcasts from Manchester.

For readers looking for other similar podcasts, Manchester’s The End Of All Things podcast is a good place to start. In each episode, hosts Rob Cutforth and Kate Feld interview a writer about their work. Examples of guests include Joanna Walsh, author of Worlds From Word’s End, Sophie Mackintosh, author of The Water Cure and Jon McGregor, author of Reservoir 13.

If the discussion-based format of the new Comma Press Podcast sounds good to you, you might also like the Mostly Lit podcast. Each week, hosts Alex Reads, Raifa Rafiq and Derek Owusu discuss a new topic within literature. Highlights include guest appearances from Arundhati Roy, Guy Gunaratne and Yrsa Daley-Ward.

For anyone looking for something shorter to listen to, American Public Media’s The Slowdown is a great podcast to subscribe to. Each day, US poet laureate Tracy K. Smith reads and discusses a contemporary poem from poets like Ada Limón or Safia Elhillo. With each episode about five minutes long, it’s a great opportunity to take a moment to yourself and get to know a diverse range of new poetry.

Poetic Prizes: The Forward Prizes takes on the North

After relocating to Manchester’s Contract Theatre, the Mancunion attends the prestigious Forward Prizes for a night of awe and bereavement

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book