carlfitzgerald

MANIFF 2019: Short films

A round of short films courtesy of the Manchester Film Festival provide a heartfelt and hilarious look into extraordinary people and events in modern life
MANIFF 2019: Short films
Photo: Jim Toscano

Little Miss Sumo is a perfect blend of politically driven and heart-warming storytelling. It spends time in the life of female Japanese sumo wrestler Hiyori Kon, discussing her personal and competitive life as well as exploring the state of sumo as a whole. Powerfully physical and moving with a strong inspirational message.

Next, Handmade Film is a brief but interesting little dive into the process of shooting on 16mm film in the 21st century. Lindsay McIntyre provides an informative account of the issue, covering a broad range or artistic and technical nuance in just five minutes. If film technology intrigues you, check it out.

Look to The Traffic Separating Device for a quirky chuckle-fest about a ‘bus trap’ applied in Sweden to damage cars attempting to drive through bus lanes. Hilarity ensues as hapless drivers fall into the trap ending on what is, quite possibly, one of the best ending lines ever written.

Finally, in an an unabashedly celebratory work of being one’s complete self, The Pretender follows Mike Kunda, the world’s best known Rocky impersonator. We journey through his upbringing and how he became who he is, and then venture into some wholesome tales of supporting the local Philly community and the sheer thrill of being a fan.

5/5.

The 5th Manchester Film Festival is taking place at the ODEON Great Northern from 2nd March to 10th March 2019.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?