tobysoar

A Film Lover’s Guide to Manchester: Events

A guide to Manchester’s cinemas, festivals and events for 2019
Photo: Tobias Soar @ The Mancunion

One-off screenings are always fun. They’re an opportunity to revisit a favourite film of yours, introduce a friend to a film you love, or maybe you’re going to see a classic for the first time. Whatever the occasion, these events cost the same as a regular cinema ticket, so why not check them out?

Grimmfest Double Bills

From the crew that brought you Grimmfest, their monthly double bills are perfect for film lovers on a budget. £10 for back-to-back screenings of The Ring and Battle Royale, or The Faculty chased up by Attack the Block? Yes, please!

Manchester Classic Films

A one-man show run by Fergus, Manchester Classic Films does what it says on the tin: they’re showings of classic films in Manchester. Simple. The screenings are possible thanks to the magic of crowdfunding. When buying a ticket for a screening, you’re directly covering the costs of the rights to screen the movie, advertising future events, and renting out the screen — which is usually at the ODEON Great Northern. These screenings are very successful, with only two showings failing to hit their minimum funding. Thanks to Manchester Classic Films, I was able to take my brother to see his favourite film on the big screen: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?