alianawaz
23rd September 2019

Manchester Literature Festival: October 2019

Alia Nawaz details the upcoming manchester Literature festival October 2019
October literature festival

Manchester Literature Festival recommences from 4th October 2019, showcasing the very best in contemporary writing from across the globe.

The festival acts as a platform for both established and emerging writers, promoting Manchester as a hub of cultural exchange.

Writers will be delivering talks on their work in various venues across the city, from the Central Library to the Lowry in Salford., and the festival will host reputable storytellers and poets, including nominees for the 2019 Booker Prize: Deborah Levy, Elif Shafak, Jeanette Winterson, John Lanchester, and Oyinkan Braithwaite.

Manchester’s own Isaiah Hull will perform New Commissions, along with Lemn Sissay. The Young Reader’s Projects offer a space for the youth of Manchester to develop their creativity through programmes such as The Writing Squad, a network for a growing community of young writers and producers in the north.

Art, biography, climate change, music, medicine, politics and protest are explored in the new Culture strand of the festival, where issues involving feminism, representation, and xenophobia are discussed by Mona Eltahawy, Clementine Ford, and Cathy Newman of Channel 4.

Manchester’s status as an international city is showcased in the festival through world literature events, where Chen Qiufan and Xia Jia, two of China’s most acclaimed science fiction writers, will discuss their work at the International Anthony Burgess Foundation.

A celebration of the Windrush generation will also take place at St John’s Church in Old Trafford, where Khadjiah Ibrahim will perform poetry inspired by her Jamaican heritage, and Roger Robinson reads from his poetry collection. Manchester’s Young Identity will be presenting new work at the same event.

The UNESCO City of Literature can be explored through Weightmans Walking Tours, which includes the Working Class Writing Walking Tour.

The Manchester Literature Festival will conclude on the 20th October, so make sure to nab your tickets to choice events before they’re gone.

The problem with publishing

We often view publishing as a way to make our voices heard on a public scale, but what if it is these same industries creating silence, too?

Spotify vs Audible: The battle for audiobook dominance

With streaming giant Spotify making its first steps into the world of audiobooks, could your next Spotify wrapped be dominated by Sally Rooney and Dolly Alderton rather than Taylor Swift?

Why I don’t regret buying a Kindle

Don’t knock it ’til you try it. We breakdown the controversial argument on why Kindles might not be the worst idea after all

Boy Swallows Universe: Does reality make the best fiction?

How many of your favourite songs or stories are based in truth? We look at Trent Dalton’s novel, ‘Boy Swallows Universe’, to see how fiction and reality are intertwined in the arts