daisybradbury

The Ordinary: the brand making clinical skincare accessible

Spending isn’t always the answer to achieving flawless skin: The Ordinary has proved that high-quality, effective products can still be affordable
The Ordinary’s Buffet Serum (Photo: Anjna Harish)

The more you pay on skincare products, the more results you’ll see – this is a common myth that skincare brand The Ordinary are challenging, offering effective clinical technologies for a price that puts some drugstore brands to shame.

The Ordinary’s mission statement is to make skincare more accessible; protecting your skin is something that we should all be able to achieve, not a luxury that only a few can attain. The specialist team are bringing biochemical products to the forefront and allowing everyone to test out these technologies.

What you see is what you get with The Ordinary: there’s no fuss, no frills, no nonsense. The packaging is stripped back to pharmaceutical style containers and none of the products have any unnecessary perfumes or dyes included. They’re free from parabens, sulphates, mineral oils and the list goes on for this extremely conscious brand. It’s clear that they genuinely care about our skin and aren’t just hungry for profit.

View this post on Instagram

Hi :-)))⁣⁣⁣ ⁣⁣⁣ We are smiling extra big today because one of our newest babies within The Ordinary, Salicylic Acid 2% Masque, has been named the Best Blemish Buster of 2019 by @cosmopolitanuk. 🙈⁣⁣⁣ ⁣⁣⁣ Formulated to target blemishes, textural irregularities, and lackluster tone, The Ordinary’s Salicylic Acid 2% Masque incorporates vegetable charcoal, Amazonian clays and squalane, to leave skin feeling refreshed, smooth, and clarified.⁣⁣⁣ ⁣⁣⁣ This photo made us think of the word “squirt”, and we’d like you to think about it too. We are offering a complimentary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque to the most creative sentences using the word ‘squirt’ in the comments below (please be on your best behavior). ⁣⁣😂 ⁣ ⁣ We’ll share our favourite to our stories later this week. 🖤

A post shared by The Ordinary, NIOD, & more. (@deciem) on

Navigating through their wide selection of products may require some preliminary research – a lot of the names can be confusing and it’s hard to know exactly what they will achieve without doing some thorough reading beforehand. But don’t fear, we’ve compiled a list of some of our tried-and-tested favourites to get you started:

Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2% – whether you’re looking to combat an uneven skin tone, target any signs of premature wrinkles or brighten your skin, this product will become your holy-grail.

AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution – this is a miracle-worker in a bottle, effortlessly reducing any congestion, hyper-pigmentation and dead skin. It leaves your skin looking incredibly smooth and brightened, plus it’s a lot less aggravating than harsh peel-off face masks or abrasive facial scrubs.

Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution – if you’re a fan of the cult-classic Pixi Glow Tonic then this product is for you, as it’s a gentle exfoliating toner that leaves your skin glowing and radiant. It also contains a Tasmanian Pepperberry derivative which helps to reduce irritation, so if you’re scared about the thought of using a harsh acid on your face, this is the perfect place to start.

View this post on Instagram

It looks like a toner. It feels like a toner. But let's get one thing settled—The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution is not your average toner. Yes, this is confusing, but we are here to help. 😉⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ Most traditional toners contain ingredients that work to cleanse and refresh the skin. Beyond simple astringent benefits, Glycolic Acid 7% Toning Solution deviates from traditional toning methods due to the inclusion of 7% glycolic acid. The simplest alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), Glycolic Acid helps exfoliate the top-most layer of skin, revealing radiant skin, while offering visible clarity. Our formulation also includes Tasmanian Pepperberry, ginseng root, and aloe vera to offer comforting benefits to the skin. Additionally, the formula incorporates various amino acids to assist with barrier support. ✨⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ We recommend use ideally in the PM, no more frequently than once per day. After cleaning your face, saturate a cotton pad with the Toning Solution and sweep across the face and neck. Avoid the eye contour and contact with eyes. No rinse off is needed. Continue with additional skin treatments as you prefer! Please kindly note that since Glycolic Acid is part of the Direct Acid family, it is not so friendly with products that contain peptides or EUK 134. ⁣ ⁣ We also recommend avoiding the use of retinoids alongside direct acids if you are an inexperienced user of either. Remember to use sun protection and wear protective clothing as AHAs may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun. 🔆⁣⁣ ⁣⁣ (CA$8.70/US$8.70/AU$14.50/£6.80/€8.70)

Granactive Retinoid 5% in Squalane – don’t be afraid of the fancy terminology; ‘retinoid’ simply means that this product boosts new cell growth and collagen production, which in the long-term helps the elasticity of your skin and prevents wrinkles. You’re never too young to start thinking about these things, especially if you’re guilty of lack of sleep and stress during exam seasons.

Caffeine Solution – this serum really packs a punch with its caffeine-infused formula, helping to relieve and brighten your tired eyes. It also contains anti-inflammatory ingredients, so whether you’re staying up all night to finish an essay or heading to a 9am lecture after a night out, no one will need to know.

Natural Moisturising Factors + HA – everyone needs a moisturiser regardless of your skin type, and this lightweight, non-greasy formula is perfect to give your skin a hydration boost and leave it feeling comfortable rather than clogging up your pores.

Salicylic Acid 2% Solution – this product is designed for those with oily and acne-prone skin. Apply it directly on to spots or a light layer all over the face if you’re looking for general prevention of acne.

The Ordinary is available to purchase through Boots, Cult Beauty and Beauty Bay.

Daisy Bradbury

Daisy Bradbury

Fashion Editor

The dos and don’ts of fashion at the Oscars: Breakdown of the 2024 looks

The 96th Academy Awards were full of the glamorous looks you’d expect, but what trends and outfits stood out at the Oscars this year?

Dua Lipa: The new face of YSL

Yves Saint Laurent are marketing towards a new young audience with Dua Lipa as their brand ambassador but what does this mean?