williamjohnston

MANIFF 2020: Let’s Roll

Chris Thomas’ Let’s Roll is a hilarious and heartwarming look at resilience and overcoming adversity surrounding the infamous Gloucester cheese rolling competition
MANIFF 2020: Let’s Roll
Photo: MANIFF

There was one standout short film from MANIFF’s 2020 line-up and for me that was Let’s Roll.

Centred around the iconic Gloucester “Cheese Rolling” competition, the film follows Antonia (Amy Bowden), a teenage girl who dreams of conquering the event, as she overcome multiple obstacles to prove her strength and worth to not just her family, but to herself.

The film’s dialogue is witty and authentic, perfectly capturing a mother and daughter’s acrimonious relationship. Its music is grand and its visuals vibrant, which accentuated the drama and comedy.

The pace of the film is also brilliantly orchestrated and directed, moving audiences along from one exciting scene to another with punctuating moments to catch your breath.

The highlight of the film for me is Nigel (Joel James Davison); Antonia’s best friend and cheese-roll mentor, who also happens to be in love with her. Tenderness and humour are captured and complemented in the writing, directing and acting and his character adds such a glow to the film.

I’m so glad to see short films like this being made. It is a brilliant collaboration between writer Allan MacLeod and director Chris Thomas and shows that they’re very much ones to watch.

4/5.

The Promised Land review: Man on the moor

This rugged tale of Danish frontier settlement is also a story of struggle – against the land, entrenched hierarchies, and within oneself

Opinion: Every Best Picture winner of the 21st century, ranked from worst to best

With the 96th Academy Awards looming, let’s look back at this century’s winners of the big grand prize of Best Picture

Do Unto Others review: A harrowing look into the unjust world of elderly care

A dissection of the choices we make and the motives behind them, Tetsu Maeda’s film analyses the state of elderly care in Japan through a whodunit thriller

What TV show and film you should watch next based on your star sign

If you’re wondering what to watch next on your study breaks, then look no further because the Mancunion has a carefully curated list of film and TV recommendations based on your star sign