maisiescott

How Bookshop.org is changing the world of books

Maisie Scott spotlights Bookshop.org and their ethical partnerships with local bookshops across the UK
Photo: Joe Shlabotnik Photography @ flickr

Bookshop.org launched in the UK on the 2nd of November. The online retailer actively supports indie bookshops across the country. Check out their map which details all their partner bookshops.

The website’s unique selling point is it’s ethical business model. Bookshop.org works alongside independent bookshops, instead of directing business away from them.

Customers can select a book title on the website, and then choose which local bookshop they would like to support when they checkout. The Manchester bookshops currently partnered with Bookshop.org include Abacus Books, Chorlton Bookshop and The Urmston Book Shop.

Importantly, the website transparently states how the partnership scheme works. Every bookshop they work with ‘will earn a 30% commission on the sales they generate’. The founders also state on the website that they ‘believe that bookshops are essential to a healthy culture’.

The launch of Bookshop.org in the UK has generated a lot of excitement in the book world. The Guardian ran a story covering the launch which stated it had the potential to be ‘revolutionary’. Bookshop.org might be able to challenge the power monopoly of Amazon and other large corporations .

I spoke to Chorlton Bookshop about their partnership with Bookshop.org. They shared that ‘the launch of Bookshop.org in the UK saved our independent bookseller’s necks. As non essential retail we had to lock our doors to customers, and we were facing a Christmas dominated by Mr. Bezos’.

Bookshop.org has the potential to give local and independent bookshops a lifeline during lockdown and beyond. Please opt for ordering books from ethical companies that support local businesses. Amazon does not need any more of your money.

If you’re interested in sustainable and ethical ways to buy books, check out our article on ‘How to read books sustainably’.

The problem with publishing

We often view publishing as a way to make our voices heard on a public scale, but what if it is these same industries creating silence, too?

Spotify vs Audible: The battle for audiobook dominance

With streaming giant Spotify making its first steps into the world of audiobooks, could your next Spotify wrapped be dominated by Sally Rooney and Dolly Alderton rather than Taylor Swift?

Why I don’t regret buying a Kindle

Don’t knock it ’til you try it. We breakdown the controversial argument on why Kindles might not be the worst idea after all

Boy Swallows Universe: Does reality make the best fiction?

How many of your favourite songs or stories are based in truth? We look at Trent Dalton’s novel, ‘Boy Swallows Universe’, to see how fiction and reality are intertwined in the arts