maisiescott

How Bookshop.org is changing the world of books

Maisie Scott spotlights Bookshop.org and their ethical partnerships with local bookshops across the UK
Photo: Joe Shlabotnik Photography @ flickr

Bookshop.org launched in the UK on the 2nd of November. The online retailer actively supports indie bookshops across the country. Check out their map which details all their partner bookshops.

The website’s unique selling point is it’s ethical business model. Bookshop.org works alongside independent bookshops, instead of directing business away from them.

Customers can select a book title on the website, and then choose which local bookshop they would like to support when they checkout. The Manchester bookshops currently partnered with Bookshop.org include Abacus Books, Chorlton Bookshop and The Urmston Book Shop.

Importantly, the website transparently states how the partnership scheme works. Every bookshop they work with ‘will earn a 30% commission on the sales they generate’. The founders also state on the website that they ‘believe that bookshops are essential to a healthy culture’.

The launch of Bookshop.org in the UK has generated a lot of excitement in the book world. The Guardian ran a story covering the launch which stated it had the potential to be ‘revolutionary’. Bookshop.org might be able to challenge the power monopoly of Amazon and other large corporations .

I spoke to Chorlton Bookshop about their partnership with Bookshop.org. They shared that ‘the launch of Bookshop.org in the UK saved our independent bookseller’s necks. As non essential retail we had to lock our doors to customers, and we were facing a Christmas dominated by Mr. Bezos’.

Bookshop.org has the potential to give local and independent bookshops a lifeline during lockdown and beyond. Please opt for ordering books from ethical companies that support local businesses. Amazon does not need any more of your money.

If you’re interested in sustainable and ethical ways to buy books, check out our article on ‘How to read books sustainably’.

Poetic Prizes: The Forward Prizes takes on the North

After relocating to Manchester’s Contract Theatre, the Mancunion attends the prestigious Forward Prizes for a night of awe and bereavement

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book