joshsandiford
21st December 2020

What support is available for students staying at university this Christmas?

Here’s what you need to know about staying in the city this Christmas
Photo: No attribution required

After a mammoth effort to get thousands of students tested and back home, Manchester University campuses will be a lot quieter in the run-up to Christmas. 

But this won’t be the case for everybody. Many students have decided to stay in the city, either because of difficulty getting home or because they don’t want to put vulnerable members of their family at risk. 

So, what support is the University putting in place for students staying in Manchester this Christmas? And what can students do to make the best of a difficult situation? Here’s what you need to know. 

What support is available from the University over Christmas? 

The University has said it will be there to support students over the Christmas break whether they are staying in Manchester or travelling home. 

This includes mental health services, safety and disability support and self-isolation guidance. 

It has launched a Christmas support webpage and a dedicated email address which students can contact is they have a query over the University closure period. 

“This email address will be monitored daily during the University closure period,” an email to students read. 

“Rest assured that there will also be emergency 24/7 support available for all students through our security and ResLife teams over the period too.

“If you need help or advice before the end of today, please contact your School support team for details of any local arrangements. If you need support from Saturday, the 19th of December to Sunday, the 3rd of January 2021, please visit our Christmas support webpage to find out more about the services on offer.” 

What can I do if I’m staying in Manchester this Christmas? 

Whether you are alone or spending Christmas with housemates, bosses have put together a list of things you can do if you are staying in Manchester. 

There are virtual events and outdoor activities listed, from Christmas movie marathons to the markets and lights in the city centre. 

The University has also highlighted volunteer opportunities available to those who want to spend time doing some good this festive period. 

What support is available from Manchester SU this Christmas? 

The SU will also be on hand to provide support for students this festive period, taking a short break but then coming back in the new year. 

The Advice Service will remain open until Thursday the 24th of December, before closing and reopening on the 4th of January. During this time the SU will not be reading or responding to emails. 

The Union’s website is packed with everything you need to know about support during the remainder of December and beyond. 

Tips for staying at University over Christmas

The Mancunion also spoke with student living specialists, Scape, who shared their top tips for students remaining at university over Christmas. 

Here’s what they said. 

Get involved in virtual Christmas celebrations

In a year like no over, Scape say there are many different virtual offerings to choose from this Christmas. They suggest making a schedule of events to keep busy over the coming weeks.

They say you can “jazz” up your evening with a virtual backstage pass to the Royal Ballet’s performance of The Nutcracker broadcast for free on YouTube, or attend a masterclass on how to make a gingerbread man garland or marshmallows and hot chocolate with John Lewis

Explore the city

Many of us might not have seen much have Manchester this year. Have you thought about taking time to explore the picturesque lights and decorations which adorn Manchester this time of year? 

Stay in touch with loved ones

Lockdowns are beginning to take their toll and Manchester has been in Tier 3 for as long as anybody can remember. This makes it a perfect time to reconnect with loved ones. Let’s be honest, we all know how to use Zoom now. 

Decorate your student space

Scape also suggest decorating your student space to make things feel a bit more Christmassy. Festive decorations and lights will automatically cheer you up and help you get into the Christmas spirit, they say. 

Rest-up

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it’s essential students get some rest of this festive period. 

It has been a trying and challenging year. And once students return in January and exam season starts, your schedule is likely to get busy fast, so enjoy some self-care to ensure you feel ready once the new term starts.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor

Manchester’s continuing problem with inaccessibility: On the redesign of NQ’s Stevenson Square

The re-design of Stevenson Square apparently complies with standards set by the Department for Transport, so why is it being criticised by sight-loss charity Henshaws, and charity patron Dave Steele?

From Our Correspondent: Uncovering Berlin’s lesser-known clubs

We turn to Berlin for our next edition of ‘From Our Correspondent’, where our writer discovers that the city’s smaller, less sought-after clubs are more to her liking

Thread Therapy: In conversation with UoM’s Fashion Society and embroidery artist Stephanie Evans

In this ‘in conversation with,’ we speak to Deansgate’s resident embroidery artist, Stephanie Evans, who runs free thread journalling classes, and Fashionsoc’s President, Anou Stubbs, on their collaboration, needlework, and student well-being

Legacies of LeadMCR throughout the years

Your guide to the recent history of UoM’s student elections, from voting turnouts and when to vote to controversies and changes